mikkrlad

AFO Brace/Left Side Weak/Paralyzed

I had a stroke on my left side and it is still weak. I also wear a AFO brace on my left leg since I have a foot drop (from the weakness after stroke). I was wondering if I could still skydive (tandem) without any issues? I won't be able to bend my legs up in the air (as I've seen in many pics) nor would I be able to make use of my left arm (especially fingers) that freely..also, while landing, I'm not sure if wearing a brace will be an issue..do you have to run as you are landing or come to a complete stop/fall on the ground?

Any advice will be appreciated..I'm near Perris fwiw. Thanks!

Your best bet would probably be to give the folks at Skydive Perris (or Skydive Elsinore, not far down the road) a call and talk through your specific limitations and how they might be able to work with them.

Tandem students have been taken with more profound limitations than yours so there's a very good chance they'll be able to work with you to get you up in the air.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had a stroke on my left side and it is still weak. I also wear a AFO brace on my left leg since I have a foot drop (from the weakness after stroke). I was wondering if I could still skydive (tandem) without any issues? I won't be able to bend my legs up in the air (as I've seen in many pics) nor would I be able to make use of my left arm (especially fingers) that freely..also, while landing, I'm not sure if wearing a brace will be an issue..do you have to run as you are landing or come to a complete stop/fall on the ground?

Any advice will be appreciated..I'm near Perris fwiw. Thanks!

Perris is the perfect place because it has Jim Wallace at the Jim Wallace Skydiving School next to the Perris skydiving school.

Jim has 22,000+ jumps, most of them training jumps, and he has probably made more tandem jumps with quadraplegics, paraplegics and really old or otherwise very fragile people than anyone in the world. He does special pack jobs and otherwise modifies normal tandem procedures to minimize the risks associated with people such as yourself who have various issues that make them more vulnerable to injury and/or less able to protect themselves.

Jim is DA MAN for your needs... by a wide margin.

Enjoy!

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."