kooper35

Skydiving with weak ribs

Hi :)

My girlfriend's no stranger to skydiving having done 2 jumps before but after an attack she was left with broken ribs. The ribs have long since healed up but the doctor said it would be unwise and would most likely rebreak her fragile ribs. My question is are there any harnesses or the like that cater for similar problems? maybe supporting or taking the pressure away from that area?

Please excuse my writing style :) its a little hectic

Hope somebody can help

*How old is your Girlfriend?
*How long ago was the injury?
*Which ribs, & how badly were they broken?

I've broken at least one of 'em. I suspect I also had a cracked rib when I did my first tandem. Now, they don't trouble me @all. Any more of an explanation from the MD? Bones mend. The weakness then becomes the areas surrounding the prior fracture. The only reason I could see his caution would be multiple fractures of each affected rib. Especially the smaller ones. Either that, or the Doc doesn't understand what a jump is like.

I broke a rib getting thrown off a goddamn uppity horse. I was fine 6 to 8 weeks later. I don't remember how long I waited to skydive again, and I can't even remember what year it happened... probably 2000. Bones usually mend in 6 weeks, give or take, but I'd add another month just for safety's sake.

When I broke the radius bone at the wrist, I was back to jumping after 6 weeks, but wore a brace for another month. I also specifically requested no floater slots on exits on my jumps during that time. A month after I stopped using the brace, I could do one-armed push-ups with the mended arm.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't know if this will help with your question or not.
I had flail chest..(that's when every rib is fractured on at least on side) After they healed and it did take a good long while I was back to jumping without any troubles.

But each case is different.I guess'

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Ya, it was slightly uncomfortable.
Luckily I had a fractured back,2 fractured arms,a collapsed lung, and facial fractures with head trauma to take my mind off my ribs:P:S

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Bad day!!!??? Meh...it turned into a bad few years and I'm still paying for it[:/]

Got caught under a REAL bad spinning Stiletto 150,was not able to cutaway till a low altitude, was unstable when I deployed my reserve (actually I was back to the ground) when my reserve opened between my legs.

Hit the turf at a high speed on the back of my neck.bounced and hit again face down.B|B|

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

It's time for a second opinion, Kooper. What you wrote is no reason to stop her. Some MDs are arrogant, & like to legislate from the bench. History is filled w/people who have been far more hurt, & returned to active lifestyles. It sounds like that Doc is either ignorant about skydiving, or just biased against it.

Ya asked. I told.

Not trying to scare anybody off a little skyjumping.

Hell,shit happens,just happened to happen to me that day.
There was a lot of jumper error involved that day also,I take responsibilty for my side of the accident;)

Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Hi :)

My girlfriend's no stranger to skydiving having done 2 jumps before but after an attack she was left with broken ribs. The ribs have long since healed up but the doctor said it would be unwise and would most likely rebreak her fragile ribs. My question is are there any harnesses or the like that cater for similar problems? maybe supporting or taking the pressure away from that area?

Please excuse my writing style :) its a little hectic

Hope somebody can help

Ummm...did YOU actually hear the doctor tell her that, or did SHE tell you that's what the doctor ordered? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

hahaha I know what your saying and no she really wants to get back up there. loved the rush its just the doctor spooked her by saying another break will most likely puncture her lung. Reading through these posts has inspired her to disregard the advice :)