gimpboogie

Gimps in Zhills, come out to try new techniques & learn what ever I can

Thought to post a little update.

Snow back home doesn't just seem at all as interesting this year as it was last- I decided to trade it for red ants and black widow spiders -and to date have had much better luck with my choices.

Arrived with all intentions of living in my "Bedouin palace"-a 4 room tent (arriving in a couple of days) and roughing it out in an old abandoned tent by the dried up crock swamp, but this greatest adventure has become a grand one, and now I'm living 'in style' in a 25 foot trailer, and maybe I just wont leave until the snows melt (if ever ;) !).

Took Brian Germain's course, (learned a lot, and haven't been able to really put it into practice- trying for sure!).

He was explaining about harness turns, leaning into the turn, and using my risers mostly so I'm trying to unlearn this old habit of being a "toggle monkey" (his term- but hey, he didn't patent it yet :ph34r: ).

Here is a link to my first attempt (really not able to see any harness input at all, and the toggles keep coming into use while I was crabbing back home after a decent head down exit and some fun proximity flying with a new friend.

I did find myself being much more aware of watching how the pilot chute is reacting to my input, and how co-ordinated (and not) my turn's were.

It was a fairly windy day (I wont bother getting into the details but soon after my jump seems no one was jumping any more due to the winds), so clearly not the best day to start working on new things, but every day is a great day to jump here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Drm5uys_I

enjoy the holiday season, around the world and play safe, and have fun!
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Hey, when you are flying with a low wing loading, you just can't get much harness turn action going. So toggle all you want!

Merry Christmas; nice to hear you escaped to a DZ that's not covered in snow!

so I suppose I should toss that smaller Raven3 with the HMA lines, & modified for a steeper glide angle and faster descent in my container....
after kiting it for a while?
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I don't know...I was jumping a 280 and then a 260 and my chunky but is 190lbs. And given enough hang on and pull I could get both of those fat birds to carve.

You can give it a shot if you like, it worked for me but it took me hanging off one of the front risers and really leaning to one side to get it to work at speed. Now slow deep brakes there you can "fly" with your ass.

But that being said, your landing looked better than most of mine! You looked like you were having fun!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Fun indeed...

and learning,
1) if you exit with out your helmet buckled up, it flies away (imagine that!)-hah, who needs a helmet anyways....

2) if your helmet flies off, you have to learn to fly mantis so your sunglasses dont fly off (now those I DO need)...

this place is the perfect drug.

3 ways, 5 ways, building an 8 way... night jump coming up and if all goes well a heli hump jump to go with it on new yrs day....
tonight its either a night jump for me or else it will be some other interesting night activities,
what ever comes along, its all good for me.

as for the Raven with the HMA lines tripped for a steep glide angle- heck i think I will kite it for a while first....

i did get a pocket put on my slider, but the help put it on backwards-regardless it still gave me sniveling long opening,
just makes me wana cry, all that sniveling,

look at this opening compared to that previous video

(yes its the one I lost the helmet- 20 secs into the FF you can see only my elbow now-- no more flying with hands, hands are holding sunglasses-.
necessity taught me to fly mantis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRnjzfA59Q
I wonder what I shall learn tonight in the night jumps... if there is room, i am now on a stand by- seems like an airport and not a DZ... oohh well,
the helicopter is here tomorrow.
that may be ok.
I have done several heli jumps before I ever did move to my home DZ so they are sort of nostalgic for me... if I do get to go.