wchair

quadriplegic about to attempt 1st skydive-seeking advice about abdominal protection

I'm a c-5 quadriplegic (I can move my arms but I'm paralyzed from the shoulders down). I have a supra-pubic tube (essentially a permanent catheter that enters my bladder through a whole in my stomach). I tried on the tandem harness on Friday. The strap that runs across the stomach, connecting the two straps that run over the thighs and hips on either side, rests directly on my supra-pubic tube site. I'm afraid that the force or friction from the jump will catch the tube, pulling on it or in the worst case, actually pulling out the entire foley.

I'm trying to figure out a way to protect the catheter.
Has anyone run into a similar situation. I've thought about covering the catheter site with some kind of pad to protect against friction.

Any specific recommendations or suggestions?
Thank you

You could also try asking on one of the SCI websites (Apparelyzed or Care-Cure). There are a decent number of quads who have made jumps, but I'll bet that more of them hang out there than here.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You could also try asking on one of the SCI websites (Apparelyzed or Care-Cure). There are a decent number of quads who have made jumps, but I'll bet that more of them hang out there than here.

Wendy P.

agreed.

ask around the sites dedicated to the issues you face, outside of the skydive.

i have a feeding tube, which has been fine for over 1-- dives but last night it tore out of my stomach.

nothing serious, i just cant take food/water/medications until I get a new one but its a pain in the .. to have to arrrange to go ge a new one inserted (i busted a part of it totally as I tried to put it back in, do a little back yard surgery,... no luck)

SO ask around, and you propably know the best in what is involved IF it came out, i.e. how it needs to be replaced/put anew one in if it did come out,
and

-how critical time is, in reference to getting it back in fast, or is there time to do it... is it a 011 rush!? or?...

-is it something that will cause you serious pain, and potential further injury, IF it came out, and then... you have some info to make a informed choice on it.

wendy propably knows the most about these issues of anyone here, so listen to her, generaly in these forums. she has wise and mature perspective and advice.

check it out with the SCI community, tons of para[s and quads do tandems
and a few of us fly solo, buf his is something worth looking into it.. wha to o etc
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

The Belly band on the tandem harnesses can be left a little loose as well. It will certainly tighten up when the instructor tightens you down, but at that point you can make a few adjustments since you can use your hands while he/she tightens you to them. Once you are in freefall, the band will probably move to a different position but you can initially out the door hold on to it (easier said than done I'm sure) Just a thought. Once the parachute is open and no issues, the belly band can be loosened all the way if it hasn't already.

Just a thought

I would talk to the SCI forums and ask about this as well.

I have a feeding tube,and it is exactly where my chest strap is. Once they changed it to the type with a balloon inside, it lasted 7 skydives and burst. tube came right out. the wait in ER to get the tube back in kept me from going that night, so they had a harder time getting in over 24 hours after it fell out.

Thus, the doctor gave me several tubes that i can doctor back in myself, at least to keep the hole properly open, until he surgically replaces the tube with the previous type (no balloon just a hard ball inside). The previous type I had lasted over 150 skydives, while this new one lasted 7.

So yes, talk to folks with these tubes, find out how did theirs come out, if ever, what were they doing etc.

Risk is always involved, I accept that i may have to do some field medicine and insert new tubes regularly until they fix this problem.

Otherwise, you may wish to have your instructors have a look a the tandem harness developed by Mark Procos and Jay Stokes (its a pants/harness assembly seen on Parachutist May 08 issue)

It IS important to remember, as the article says
:

"not every tandem instructor will be able to use it-it offers qualified instructors who take special needs tandems a means to do so."

The device not only controls the legs during freefall, prevents them from hitting the person -or worse getting caught in lines etc. during hard openings and also allows the TM to control the reduction in possible injury during landing. Which is where all the paralyzed jumpers that Ive seen break bones, happened, was the landings.
Twice Ive seen another paralyzed person break ankles out of the 4 different paralyzed people I know of whove done a tandem (seen one of these breaks myself as it happened-and both of the men who broke ankles were very strong upper bodied individuals who were not able to pull up their legs nigh enough for the landing so their ankles caught).

anyways, the moral of it all is,

if your concerned about the tube,

talk to all SCI forums you can find, research that aspect, and then also research the places where you may be going to. What plans do they have for you, for the landings?
That's what worries me the most, after seeing those two men.

Otherwise, I can see it a possibility, reading that article and seeing the pictures certainly a C5 can do this.

I am now an incomplete C6 and diving solo after a long road to get here, but now I fly confidently on my belly or in steep track -atmonauti style.

So much is possible, with patience and lots of thought put into it.
Not saying you may be flying solo some day, but certainly i can see it possible to keep this tandem desire burning brightly.

dont give in .... let it come to you safely and you will be SO GLAD that you may not be able to wait to do it again. :D

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works