wildernessmedic

Rigger sewed velcro through my kill line

wildernessmedic

Thanks for all the links. I only see it recommended for the vector 3, is it recommended for the 2 as well?yes, all vectors
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ufk22

*********Purpose of Velcro: Postage stamp size pile/loop Velcro on bridle marries with postage stamp sized hook Velcro on top flap.

I'm aware of that, but the picture of the velcro is much longer than the normal square. I am trying to figure out why it looks to be about 2-3x longer than it needs to be to hold the bridle on the top flap. ;)

Uh you and me both. As soon as I saw it I was confused. Isn't a tiny pea sized piece all that's needed to to lightly hold it in place? Not a long strip.Thing is, you don't need any Velcro on your bridle anymore. UPT now recommends routing it from below and back down. This eliminates the potential for the pin to puncture the bridle and cause a PCT mal. Check out UPT's website.

Even if you do route the bridle above the loop and down the velcro isn't needed.
If you can add the extra slack without the velcro then the velcro serves no purpose. (And adding the slack means do not push down the bridle between the flaps)

mark

So we're pretty much sure the corresponding piece of velcro is on the top flap and not, say, on the bottom flap near the mouth of a BOC?

-Mark

2 different pieces of Vecro serve 2 different purposes.
On the top flap, hook Velcro reminds you to leave a bit of slack between the (curved) pin and where it disappears under the side flap. Slack should be slightly longer than the pin so that the pilot-chute only has to pull the pin at that stage of deployment.

OTOH hook Velcro sewn to the bottom flap is the old method of preventing the bridle from blowing loose prematurely. The modern method uses an extra "bridle cover" flap (usually nylon Cordura) to conceal the bridle between to mouth of the BOC and where it disappears under the pin cover.

Finally freed up the kill line and practiced packing a couple times.

The new Velcro riser covers seem strong. I know I'm used to old worn out ones but do I need to worry about them not opening? I pulled the d bag out and yanked it hard from the lines and couldn't get the risers to pop out. Just dragged the container with the heavy weight first

Also put a long piece of Velcro on my bridle where it routes under the flap to the BOC which seems to require a lot of force to pull off. Any chance of a pilot chute in tow from strong enough Velcro there?

So did that same rigger do a reserve repack for you when he had the rig? Mistakes can be made by the best of us, but if a rigger's work was that sloppy on something visible to the customer, I damn sure wouldn't trust what you can't see.

Also, if that work met their personal standard of satisfaction, and they didn't bother to do a functionality test, I would actually hope that they were lazy enough to pencil whip the repack because I'd rather have something out of date than something they stuffed into the bag.