packing_jarrett

I'm a skydiver (t-5 complete paralysis)

Welcome back! I wondered what you were going to do after the accident. (Did you ever publish any technical details of what went wrong with the cutaway setup in Hawaii?)

Did you try belly flying too, or were you just starting out with backfly?

And for landing, you left your legs dangling unlike the more common setup of having a strap to pull legs up. How did that work out?
It seems to me like it would be too easy to face plant if there's any forward speed left, if it is tough to twist to PLF too.

Above the knees you had a duct tape wrap but also something else with a couple rings on it. Was that functional or just acting as padding?

I don't know that much about gimp jumping but have hung out with Minna ('Gimpboogie' here) so am curious about the techniques, hence me bugging you with questions.

In a way it is just another skydiving discipline -- trying to do things in the sky within certain constraints.

that's amazing!! your landing worked out well?! everything went smoothly?! That's really truly awesome. congrats!! Like they always say, "Where there's a will, there's a way." :)

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL

just wanted to post that its pretty fun and recommend anyone to try it.

I had 3000 skydives before my accident and just got back in the air this weekend.

Damn right you are a SKYDIVER.

That is just amazing that you are solo jumping again Jarret. Those photos are so inspiring.

You know what they say:

"You cant keep a good man down."

You've proved it.

I am not joking when I say I expect to see some RW photos sometime in the future with you doing the docking. I don't know how, but I bet you will figure a way.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

thanks for the welcome man. Yeah I've been recovering from everything so couldn't hop on ship sooner. Did a tandem a couple months ago and thats about it.

as far a the technical details go I really can't say for certain. I was trying to groundlaunch fly away and the do a cutaway to base canopy thing. other then what happened with the cutaway thing sucks balls lol. I was using an apex dp (base rig) with extra rings that was hooked up to a xaos 88. Didn't have hard housing but routed it through the harness container like if there were housings and sealed up all the snag areas so the cables wouldn't pull through. well jostling around before the launch must have done it. I was under canopy for about 10 seconds before the right riser released (story of my life lol). Didnt even hesitate a nano second before pulling the base pilot chute. surprisingly the decent rate wasn't as fast as one would think and didn't inflate shit. I literally was shaking the blackjack 260 all the way to impact (think about the oldschool pull and punch) fell about 200 ft onto the mountain side. knocked unconscious and then tumbled down another 50 ft before slamming into a stump.
so thats that story.

as for skydiving now? not too big of a deal. Still need some friends to help lift me into the plane. Backflying is where its at right now. I can belly fly just fine but with the position of my legs and that I only weigh 135lbs I fall at about 110mph. and for landing I'm jumping a 170 at the moment. so landings are super soft. its funny because its like my feet touch the ground and I'm standing on them for a second before I collapse into a plf. eventually when I start downsizing again I'll clip my legs up. but for right now I like to make it simple.

the little device my dad made a few years ago for a paraplegic tandem. I just use it for padding between my legs.
Na' Cho' Cheese

That is incredibly awesome. I would never call people like you disabled as even with the use of my legs you are probably a much better back flyer and even belly flyer than I am! Life is about meeting challenges head on. Thats why we all skydive!

this is great news.

i am now a C5/6 incomplete quad

and been skydiving since 2007. was diving solo since

atmonauti was going to be my next attempt.

belly flyer till now.

have a different system then yours, or pookies, or dales (all para's flying dale got his A a while ago.)

I think dale is a T10
andPookie??

Irecently found out my illness will not permit me to skydive solo anymore so in the high altitudes i am going backto flying with my tandem jockey on my back,

but B.A.S.E.will see me me a lot more now.

I've got a 'date' going to idaho in may to hang out with some fellows who are more then happy to toss gimps off the bridge.

there i will spend a lot more of my time now-that i got this 'restriction' on my skydiving real.

which is fine because i was going there anyways -having done now 9 jumps and wkydiving wasintense this last summer.

moved to the DZ to make sure i was on every load i wasn't drying out my reserve from going in the drink (the ditch by the runway seemed to be my 'bad spot' -its tough to get out of a mddy slippery ditch without all body parts working before your container gets wet enough to have to repack the reserve).

Great to see you smiling in the skies again :)

now there IS enough of us who will be alive in 2016 to go do a demo jump into the paralympic ceremonies (yah a tough environment to jump into but its doable-and into the regular olympics as well-that would be the 'cats ass' having a few paralyzed guysjumping in to shatter some paradigms. to shift mind set of walking folks -we can do the 'impossible' we cant wak but we can fly'),

great to see how well the back flying is working for you...
\then clearly proves that atmo is more then possible for a para.

too bad i cant venture there anymore but seeing you there and i will go to the base world now seems sort of...

fitting somehow.,

i think you will do great things for para diving in the future.

can i send a friend of mine=John who runs a website for para's and quads doing 'extreme sports' info on you and send him your way to show his website your flying?

-minna
(extremewheelchairs aka gimpboogie)
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Thanks for the details of that bad day. I'll look forward to seeing what you can achieve in the sky again as you get more practice.

thanks for the visit and chat Peter,

Yes you certainly ARE a skydive.

ever thought of trying an RW tunnell camp.

that's one my 'list' of things to do.

did the basic skills RW tunnel camp & surprisingly learned RW to not be difficult andthe basic skills all tunnel time translated into ahuge learning curve,

ifFF is where your heart is atmo opens up a new way of flying and the 1st para to back fly is awesome!harder then turning points on your belly

ffreen fly is where is.
FLY your heart away dude,
life is too shorr
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

exceptional!

while your preparing to enter the skies again,
I'm preparing for my 11th (and last got to move on to other objects-but its just that there are so many sweet towers here they are hard to stay away from-had my 2nd 180 reacted fast doublerear, let one off releasing togles while turning and preparing to flare-what a rush-skydiving just can't beat that-now that i tasted it-again-that-'almost' moment)it's a nice 360 foot free stander.

from now on its off to Idaho in about a month or so...
to see if I ever will leave the B.A.S.E. world.

FLY FREE BUDDY, YOU'VE DEFINITELY FOUND YOUR FREEDOM AGAIN

awww, it wouldn't let me see it due to privacy settings or it had been deleted. :(

If you disbelieve everything because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much-what as wisely as he would not use his legs, but sit still and perish because he had no wings to fly.-JL