gimpboogie

helping TM'S & AFF C+ACHES TO WORK WITH PARALYZED SKYDIVERS...AN IDEA

I hope this is woth consideribng by the USPA & CSPA.

As I, started, Dale started and Pookie started within the last 2-3 yrs skydiving as people with lower limb disabilities-namely paralysis_ for the 1st time in a "larger" interest then before (my understanding is this anyways that until Tonto taught Peter, and a fellow in Qubec Canada no one has taken up skydiving without ever been a skydiver prior to paralysis (although Peter & Dale had done several dives prior but unlike Lonnie who had 1000 plus prior to his accident).

I've mentioned this to Angus prwviously and also. We discussed the fact that it clearly is "up to the TM & AFF/PFF coachers if they wish to venture into this realm".

Having said that, since me jumping we @ PST have had 2 other TM's jump with me and 2 more plan to give it a go this season (or was it 3?).

The point being, that I would like to see USPA & CSPA SPONSOR A SMALL COURSE FOR TM's who woud like to try this out in a "safer" environment-with current paralyzed skydivers.

This course should be "instructed" by very experienced TM's in this area-Angus & TK.

Perhaps there should 2 paralyzed "tandem passangers" of different levels of paralysis-like Pookie and I :)

(Yes I have a personal desire to see us jumping together-maybe a large company like Visa will sponsor this partially as they could use the footage (I would permit it-in exchange for Visa flying either Angus & to Zhills-perhaps best option since weather is more predictable & site is "world wide @opular_
Or TK & Pookie here to PST (e will have a special plane-i can't share what until DZO announces it but let's put it that it will be the only 1 of its kind in Canada!).

This way, those who wish to try it, can do so by teachers who are highly experienced in this field, and those coming to learn would benefit other DZ's because I know two paralyzed guys in chicago area who are booking tandems for sure "come hell or high water " they said.

I know some are reluctant & I understand.Also a young brave TM "chad" @ our DZ offered to do a tandem with me 2 yrs ago. Now he admitted this year he was "scared sh*tless" before we did it- but he sucked in his fear and realized we were doing fine together.

Him doing it with a person who CAN SKYDIVE" but is paralyzed helped to make the decision to try it out.

I would do the 2nd jump tied up in "mack straps" (we have them" and be acting like a true passanger like I had never jumped before.
This way the TM truly feels what it feels like & IF ANYONE WHO ALLREADY IS EXPERIENCED AFF/PFF COACH wants to try with me & pookie they could be 'wingman' with TK with Pookie & Angus with me.Finally to please the sponsors & their video opportunity they could pay the video guys 'hansomely' to get the "progression" on video-from a basic TM jump, to an AFF jump to me finally flying solo-this would fit in with VISA'S "branding" phrase "we make your dreams possible" & play it during the Paralympics in 2012.it would be awesome to get Dale over also-have us both do a 2-way or? And both land @ same DZ after one another-2 video guys following us-this would be great commercial for VISA since they are olympic and paralympic sponsors.I know there has been other skydiving commercials but this would really show 2 things-with determination and commitment/training IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO THINGS MANY WOULD THINK IS IMPOSSIBLE.(You have no idea how much tandems we've gotten because I always in public wear skydiving clothing, have my DZ "gear" (clothing, hats, caps, stickers on my chair).

It starts off with "did you skydive?", "did your accident happen during skydiving" & I tell them no not during skydiving, and that since I can't walk I decided to fly (and using Dales words about the fastest-hope you don't mind Dale) "fastest gimp in the world" type statement to "break the ice".
This has led to discussion on diving & I know 7 who have come to do a tandem & more who've come to watch (one all the way from Montreal- "to see if itz's really true what they heard".

The CSPA has kicked in $ for the 1sy women's tunnel camps making them over $100 cheaper & the USPA could be asked by USPA members (I was thinking of joining them just to be able to present this to them-but I think it is best told about by a USA citizen).

Those who want to try 1 AFF session with a "gimp" could do so as well.

Even if the outcome was to b a "no I don't like that feeling' (they could jump with me as their "student" since I won't flip, side spin, tumble etc on them-so it's the safest way to try)

It is worth a try I think.I would w,t a bigger sponsor (like Visa as their advert approach and their sponsoring the olympics etc. So massively)
To "foot the bill" of flying the participants into one location & to pay Angus & TK for their lost wages that weekend if they would be doing tandems.The USPA & CSPA could toss in the tickets to altitude for the participants as well as the coaaches & "gimps".

I think this would advance the sport profile (if Visa did the commercials-heck we coulkd have TK & Angus flying CRW with their logo canopies or with their logo flags on their legs for their landings).I ofcourse think its worth persuing because it is something I think will be more in need.

Even having more TM's having done a jump with " a gimp" may be helpful-it was @ PST. Even if they do not want to do it after the course.

If it was planned around a boogie of some sort @ either DZ it would be more appealing to come to.let's see peoples ideas on it and Angus' & TK' thoughts about it-hopefully CSPA & USPA officials read this @ share their ideas-even if its a NO WAY-NEVER!
At least I asked for input.
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

You may consider posting this is other forums where it might get more readership. I don't know how many people read this forum. Perhaps in "General Skydiving" or "Safety and Training"

Also you might consider other places to post this such as http://www.cspa.ca/forum
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks Ian.
Would a Mod. Please move this to appropriate forum(s).

I really don't know how to do that, and am not very inclined to re writing this on my phone again-tkaes me so long with these buttons 1/s the size of my fingers thanks-minna

You may consider posting this is other forums where it might get more readership. I don't know how many people read this forum. Perhaps in "General Skydiving" or "Safety and Training"

Also you might consider other places to post this such as http://www.cspa.ca/forum

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works