millertime24

Closing loop too long

Blis

I'm having a hard time figuring out how someone can mess up closing of the container that bad...

I have no idea how that happened. There are several possibilities, but none of them should matter. If the closing loop is the proper length this should never have happened. I also like to make the loop portion of mine only slightly larger than the pin. Yall can advise me on this, but I believe when pulled by a closing tool or pullup cord the tension will keep the loops diameter thus not allowing what is in the pic.
Muff #5048

While the tail of the loop is too long, the more important issue, and the thing that allowed this mistake to be possible is that the loop itself is too large, i.e. the "hole" is too big. It should not be possible for the entire pin to fit through a properly manufactured loop.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was looking at that, and really pondering it.
To get that entire closing pin through that loop seems like the problem to *me*.

I would think it would be deliberate, as in someone was not paying attention and just put the entire thing in.
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

millertime24

***Length of the loop seems correct. Size of the eye of the loop is too big.

Does it? I thought the grommets should be pretty much aligned.

Not on a Vector 3. The grommets are supposed to be offset, not stacked. Just like the picture.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

millertime24

***Length of the loop seems correct. Size of the eye of the loop is too big.

Does it? I thought the grommets should be pretty much aligned.did you ever read the manual for a Vector3 ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

UPT has replied to that Facebook post.

Length of loop is correct, bridal routing is not. Incorrect bridal routing "may" have cause the pin to pass through the eye loop on deployment.

Everyone should be able and capable of doing a pin check to themselves with the rig on their backs. Would have saved that dude a reserve ride.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

I have also seen this on Facebook.couple points i like to make, first of all that a packer actually packed it without realizing this, i would seriously be scared to see the rest of the pack job. but the biggest issue i have with it why this was not Caught in a Routine Gear check? this rig should never have made it onto the jumpers back, let alone onto an aircraft and hell no before jumping out!

gowlerk

******Length of the loop seems correct. Size of the eye of the loop is too big.

Does it? I thought the grommets should be pretty much aligned.

Not on a Vector 3. The grommets are supposed to be offset, not stacked. Just like the picture.

would there be any negative affects of packing a vector 3 with the grommets stacked?

would there be any negative affects of packing a vector 3 with the grommets stacked?

From the UPT response.

The main side flap location and grommet offset is correct.
The UPT Vector 3 container is designed and constructed to have the top 2 main grommets offset. This allows a low profile and better pin protection, allows the main pin cover to close correctly, and cosmetically the container will look as designed. The correct offset is as pictured, with the binding tapes stacked touching the edge of the grommet.

Basically if you stack the grommets the side flaps will partially cover the slot that the tip of the pin cover flap fits into. This will cause if to not fit correctly. As well it will look a little thick and not as pretty as the designer wants it to.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Incorrect bridal routing "may" have cause the pin to pass through the eye loop on deployment.

Anyone care to speculate on how???

UPT speculated on that for us, here: http://blueskiesmag.com/...ficial-upt-response/.
Seems like a long shot to me, but admittedly, they are smarter than I. I have, however, personally seen an inexperienced, poorly supervised packer shove the eye of the pin right through a closing loop before, so Occam's Razor makes me think that's what happened this time too (and probably other times which no one has owned up to or published on the intergoogles).

Either way, a good argument for not pushing the pin in as far as it will go. I think this is what their second theory is getting at (or maybe the bridle catching the tip of the pin and actually pulling it vertically):

[inline pin.jpg]

justme12001

I always make my own, and have never made one with a large enough loop for the entire pin to fit thru.

Most loops are large enough to fit the pin through. However, by the time you put a pullup cord into it and pull it under tension to get it through the grommets, it is difficult to also fit the eye of the pin through.

I dislike overly long loops as well, but I don't think I've ever seen one too small to fit the eye of a curved pin through. Including factory supplied one on new rigs. Excepting CYPRES type loops for reserves. If it's large enough to fit a pullup easily, it's large enough to fit the eye.