didi_br

Amputee Lower Rigth Leg

Hi ALL.
I'm a brazilian instructor and i'm here looking for some help.
This is the deal. A friend of mine wants to skydive he is LRL Amputee. I'll do a tandem with him at this point no problem but he is asking: If i wanna still jump by my self. I never had a student in this situation. so, could you tell me how I can teach him to get the balance and get stable?
thanks

Hi mate
I am a left leg (below knee) amputee and was a bit worried when I first did my AFF about balance , etc . So what I did was go to a wind tunnel first so as to get control and steadiness prior to lobbing myself out at 12000 ft , this was invaluable and so flew through all 8 levels without having any re-takes . But what I would say is if your mate has been an amputee for some time then he will find his own way of flying , it may not look good , but so long as it works then thats all that matters . Hope this was of help to you mate , any more Q's just E-mail me , Druid

Hi ALL.
I'm a brazilian instructor and i'm here looking for some help.
This is the deal. A friend of mine wants to skydive he is LRL Amputee. I'll do a tandem with him at this point no problem but he is asking: If i wanna still jump by my self. I never had a student in this situation. so, could you tell me how I can teach him to get the balance and get stable?
thanks

I'm an AK on the left leg and have no issues other than I have more limited range when it comes to fall rate, and slower tracking.

A BK should have fewer issues, since they have a knee to articulate, just let him know that if he plans on wearing his prosthetic, then he should double-check the suspension, to make sure the leg won't fall off. A guy in New York lost his leg in free-fall last summer that way (or was it 2007?).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'm not disabled, but way back in the early 80's, my dad, two brothers and I were all skydiving at point or another. What makes this cool is that my dad was 100% disabled with his R leg missing from his waist down. He finally wound up using a scuba flipper on his only foot to compensate for the inherant r-hand turn... Anyway, he started skydiving after his disability, but went on to earn his D-9053, SCS, SCR, Falcons, Eagle, and Pro #90 - All with NO waivers whatsoever (meaning he did everything to the same criteria as everyone else whether RW or Accuracy).

That was in the 80's: there were no such things as wind tunnels, but we did use paper dolls and a ladder on more than one occassion while brainstorming his stability issues... he started on a Paracommander, which meant he became very proficient at a PLFs (sometimes more of a banana-splat kind of thingy) but he did wind up on a 375 sq ft canopy for a main and a Raven 4 reserve. His accuracy was excellant, and he did in fact stand up the vast majority of his landings very close to where his crutches were mind you, for obvious reasons.

I'd say your friend has zero excuses! ;) Bear in mind that I am not an instructor... but I suspect there's shouldn't be any concerns RW wise, once he learns to fly HIS body, to include tracking. Canopy piloting will be a little more critical, but only in terms of a 'feet and knees together and pound in' kind of landing where 2 legs are stronger than 1 leg kinda thing applies. He'll always be at a disadvantage there, but its prolly best for everybody to avoid those situations though. :P

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...