Peaches87

General Anxiety, prescribed xanax- need input

I've been taking xanax for general anxiety for over a year now but it can be a dangerous drug. I know how it affects me and I find that I am safer and more aware on 1mg then without it. Does anyone have input or also have the same condition? I generally take 1 or 2mg but i'm not sure if the latter is unsafe. I can still be anxious after 1mg and fine on 2.

I didn't know that medications were 'infirmiries' on the waiver so now i need a letter from my psychiatrist confirming that it is safe to skydive on the medications i am on.

I also have add and take adderall for my focus or i start to space out.

My concern is that while I trust myself to not overdo my medications on the ground, I know that I am an inexperienced skydiver and these drugs can be powerful.

I will be talking to my psychiatrist further about this tomorrow but I was hoping to get input from people on both sides of the coin because my psychiatrist isn't a skydiver.

Here is a way to have your doc help you figure this out. He/she does not need to be a skydiver, he/she just needs to know what abilites skydiving requires. Explain that skydiving requires:

-- Quick decision making under stress and extreme time pressure. (Think high speed mal)
-- The ability to solve dynamic spatial puzzles under time pressure (think of planning and flying a safe pattern while avoiding other canopies and landing on target).
-- The ability to remain calm (or at least functional) in the aircraft when facing an activity that your brain is rightly going to protest is high risk.
-- Good psychomotor coordination (think the timing necessary to flare correctly).
-- Good depth perception (think flaring again).
-- Good sense of balance (think of free fall stability)

There is a chance that the answer may be that for a couple of weeks following a dose increase you would be wise to not jump. Some of the problematic side effects may lessen as you become adjusted to the new dose.

Since beer is a common element of the DZ experience... discuss with your doctor the risks of combining alcohol with your drugs.

Of course, part of my brain is wondering how the autopsy report would play out for your DZ if the coroner found you full of Xanax. Might not be a problem if your doc signs the letter. Might be a problem if there is pre-existing friction between DZ and land owner / airport.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I've been taking xanax for general anxiety for over a year now but it can be a dangerous drug. I know how it affects me and I find that I am safer and more aware on 1mg then without it. Does anyone have input or also have the same condition? I generally take 1 or 2mg but i'm not sure if the latter is unsafe. I can still be anxious after 1mg and fine on 2.

I didn't know that medications were 'infirmiries' on the
shrinks waiver so now i need a letter from my psychiatrist confirming that it is safe to skydive on the medications i am on.

I also have add and take adderall for my focus or i start to space out.

I don't know about american psychiatrist's, but in the most cases this combination from medi's would be a medical malpractice in germany.

This medi's + mottled O2 partial pressure + adrenalin in overdose (first jump's) is not a combination that is easy predictable.
:S

I don't know what i would do.....aside the legal ground and probs.

I don't take psych drugs and don't believe in them. I only took 1 pc of xanax a long time ago, was given to me on a Sat night party. Next day I was feeling really weird, I got so paranoid at work that ended up making a scene with a co-worker and got myself fired. :S
I know about a girl who quit skydiving because she started taking those meds. It does alter your mind. You need a clear one up there. For your and for others' safety. At least this is how I see it.

I don't take psych drugs and don't believe in them. I only took 1 pc of xanax a long time ago, was given to me on a Sat night party. Next day I was feeling really weird, I got so paranoid at work that ended up making a scene with a co-worker and got myself fired. :S

Do not generalize "psych drugs" I have read this from you in varios thread's.

I would guess, what your expirenced was a "rebound effect"
If you aware of this possible side effects (read the by-pack letter) you much better prepared.

In the most cases they are much stronger on short-time effective "benzo's", like Xanax, but much less on long-time effective benzo's, like valium.....only as example.

But this is more than off topic......

Taking a psych med when you don't have a psych problem is blatantly stupid. Your 'belief' in psych meds is really irrelavent. When someone has an actual psych problem, the medications are there to get them back to normal brain biochemistry. For someone with normal brain biochem to take them of course is going to cause some side effects.

Depression and anxiety disease are biochemical problems. Yes, in some cases they may be overdiagnosed, yes meds may be Rx'd in some instances for people that don't need them... but that's true of every med.

With regard to the OP jumping on Xanax, that's really something to take up with the prescribing doctor. I personally wouldn't do it, but I only take 1/2 a Xanax occasionally at night (was Rx'd due to mild PTSD/depression) so I just don't have the tolerance or need for it that someone with more significant biochemical issues would have. Everyone's neurochemistry is different. Anecdotal information from other jumpers may or may not apply to your individual case. Talk to your doctor.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

The opening thread was asking for input. Definiton of input as per Encarta: "a contribution to something, especially comments or suggestions made"
In this regard your opinion is just as much respectable and relevant as anybody else's including mine. One among all the others that can give a different perspective.

Yes, I was stupid when I took that, no doubt - I don't have a problem seeing that. Others can learn from it just like I did.

I don't go by anecdotal information - I can give you the link where I read it here on dz.com. Her case and opinion is of course different but one could consider it as a valuable INPUT because the subject is very similar.

(BTW- Some of the possible side effects of Xanax as per drugs.com: dizziness; drowsiness; lightheadedness; tiredness; trouble concentrating; unsteadiness; depression, irritability, anxiety; suicidal thoughts or actions.)

Do not generalize "psych drugs" I have read this from you in varios thread's.

"psychiatric medication is a drug taken to exert an effect on the mental state and used to treat mental disorders. Usually prescribed in psychiatric settings, these medications are typically made of synthetic chemical compounds..." (from Wikipedia) I only generalize in this (mind altering) meaning.
(Also - just to avoid generalization - I only posted on ONE thread that had anything to do with psych drugs.)