klm

I want to Tandem jump in CA with a SCI

Hi, I have a C3-C7 SCI and want to tandem jump really bad. I tried to jump last weekend in San Francisco, CA but I was turned down. How can I jump and if anyone knows of any place in CA too?

My legs have muscles spasms which can make them difficult to bend, especially once they are straight. That's why I was turned down by this place, plus they never jumped with a person with a SCI

Thanks, Kristin :)

SCI is spinal cord injury; C3-C7 is the level of the injury to the cervical spinal cord.

In this forum I'd expect that to be perfectly reasonable acronyms and jargon, just as SC is here on dz.com, and pull-out, throw-out and ripcord are among parachutists.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Which DZ did you contact? There are several dropzones within a couple of hours of San Francisco that do tandems - I'd suggest that you call and talk to each of them to see if they can accommodate your situation.

http://www.skydanceskydiving.net/index.php

http://www.bayareaskydiving.com/

http://www.skydivesacramento.net/

http://www.parachutecenter.com/

http://www.1800funjump.com/about.html

http://www.skydivemontereybay.com/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi Kristin,
I jump at The Parachute Center in Lodi (for more than 20 years) and have seen many. many disabled folks make tandems there. I cannot speak to your particular set of issues, but I suggest give Bill Dause a call and explain your circumstances. My bet is they can handle it.
Sharon

SCI is spinal cord injury; C3-C7 is the level of the injury to the cervical spinal cord.

In this forum I'd expect that to be perfectly reasonable acronyms and jargon...

Not for me - I'm not a doctor. And I'm betting not for a bunch of other readers also. My first thought was that "SCI" was short for a sciatic nerve problem.

I'd prefer to ask a question so that I can understand the message, rather than to remain ignorant.

People with injuries get all tied up in the technical language of their specific injuries, because they're dealing with it in person. But for everyone else out here who has never experienced those specific kinds of injuries, those technical terms are usually meaningless. I think it's just better if you're seeking help that you should describe the injuries in general terms, rather than use technical medical jargon. The latter might be appropriate in a medical forum, but this ain't one.

How long have you been injured? Electric or manual chair? Breathe on your own? Can you get your doctor to give you meds to "STOP" the spasms, long enough to jump.
I'm a T6 complete. I made 5000 jumps before my injury and 2 since. I saw what a hassle and how dangerous it was to jump. The biggset danger is breaking your leg/legs. Then you get to spend 6 weeks to 6 months in bed while they heal.
That's only the danger to yourself. The spasms could put the tandem master in danger, like death.
Got to do something about the spasm.
Have you tried flying in a wind tunnel? More controlled environment. Get to fly.
How about the Richard Petty experience? Ride in a race car 150 mph.
Sail plane? Tie you feet back to the seat so you don;t get n the rudders. You could probably learn to fly one.
There are an endless amount of things you can do and do them yourself.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I currently jump at Skydive Monterey Bay (Marina, CA) and we have at least two instructors that have jumped with students that have disabilities somewhat similiar to yours.

If you PM me, we can discuss your condition and provide advice about if we can possibly help - all the while knowing that we'd make a final decision at jump time.

In general, I personally would like to ensure that your doctor has cleared you to handle the adrenaline and altitude. My experience jumping from a King Air involved me sitting by the door and the student on my lap (family members carried her up the stairs and placed her on my lap - and were on the ground with wheelchair to assist picking her up). After hookup, duct-taping the students legs to my shins (to control during freefall). However, this particular technique is best done on a windy day since the tape prevents swinging the legs foward for a slide landing.

If the student can handle the altitude, the jump, and has the flexibility to bend from a seated position to the arch, there should be a few different dz's that can accomodate. (Always remembering that we will be cautious as to not make your condition worse).

Well, I'm not an expert on being a TM taking passengers with disabilities, but I've jumped with some.

If you make it down SoCal way, or it may be worth a call, to Jim Wallace's Skydiving School at Perris. Ask to talk to Jim himself and give him a run down on what your situation is and see what he thinks. I cannot speak for him nor promiss his time, but I'd be surprised if he wouldn't talk to you and I'd listen to what he has to say.

There are others here who have given good advice too.

Good luck. Hope you get to jump, but safely... remember you don't have to skydive, nor does any particular DZ have to let you, no offense.

Hi Kim,

I also have an SCI, C5/C6 incomplete and I done 3 tandem jumps. GO FO IT! All of my tandem jumps were done at Perris Valley here in So. CA. The first was withn Jim Wallace, and it was great. I have known Jim for years and he is a great tandem master. Let me know when you decide to jump. It is the greatest thing.

Keith
[email protected]