LadiDadi

Text to Speech Software for Pocket PC?

I'm trying to help out a friend who was recently diagnosed with ALS.

I have found a couple of text to speech programs that run fine on my computer but I'm trying to find one that will run on a Pocket PC. Namely an absolutely ancient Compaq iPaq 3870 that's about ten years old.

I'm also hoping to find a free or close to free program since he's broke and I'm not far behind.

Any suggestions?
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

Contact the ALS organization, they probably have resources to help.

Contact his medical insurance, sometimes gadgets like that are covered.

Contact the state office of vocational rehabilitation, they like to keep people employed and independent, so provide adaptive aids.

Contact the Easter Seals lending library branch in your area, they have a ton of gadgets for loan indefinitely for all kinds of disabilities.

I'd suggest considering a self contained unit rather than a pocket PC software, only because long term that will be more functional as motor skills decline.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Hello,

Multiple free options available

OPTION #1: Do text-to-speech through telephone relay services. I assume you're already familiar with making phone calls through IP-Relay? Have your friend go to www.ip-relay.com or www.relaycall.com and make a telephone call through the keyboard. This could even be done in person by having two telephones in the same room (even one cellphone and one mobile phone, or using a friend's cellphone). Although the telephones cost money, the relay service is free. Also, some of the relay services also works in PocketPC through AIM but your PocketPC would need an Internet connection.

OPTION #2: Software for PocketPC. There are multiple options in a Google Search. One of the several is this one. Unfortunately, the model 3870 is probably too old to run any of the software. It's probably easier to get a $50 newer PocketPC off eBay (one that's a merely 4 year old machine instead of a 6 year old machine) just so you're able to run the software. I've seen very beautiful looking iPaq Model 2215's go for only $60 on eBay. (Despite its age, these units are still powerful enough to run Super Nintendo emulators -- I owned one of these several years ago) Make sure you get the correct model. For example, Pocket PC 2003 is capable of being upgraded to .NET 2.0 which is used by some applications. The money may potentially be paid by donated money or subsidy. Be very careful you don't end up buying a PocketPC that's too old to run the software. (there's PPC2000, PPC2003, PPC2003SE, Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6...etc ... Make sure you choose a brand of software that runs on PPC2003 for example, if you decide to get an old one (i.e. 1910, HX2100, 2215, 43XX etc). There are other devices that may do the job, like a Symbian based cellphone, etc, that might be cheaper to purchase. There are a surprising number of old gadgets that still can run lots of third party software...

Thanks so much everyone!

My head is just spinning with this. My aunt died a few years ago from ALS and this is the second friend to be diagnosed with this nasty disease this year.

I will check out everyone's suggestions. Thank you.
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.