BillyVance

Deaf Skydivers on Facebook

As a few of you know, this Skydivers with Disabilities forum was my baby (idea), and Sangiro set it up for us all. Only that he decided to open it to all disabilities, which I have no problem with.

However, over the years I've noticed that not everyone frequents this forum on a regular basis. Maybe that could be due to the dilution of this forum amongst all the other disabilities.

I just joined Facebook a few months ago. I'm still new to things over there, but we do have a Deaf Skydivers group set up there with 12 members currently in it. I'm starting to think that this may be an easier way to keep in touch with each other and stay connected. You will be able to post threads and pictures and write on the wall there.

Why not come over there and give it a try? But don't quit this website either. Both have their advantages in their own ways.

:)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There is a site called www.deafskydivers.org , also Billy is talking about a social website you can join called facebook (www.facebook.com) then inside that you can join a group called deaf skydivers.

Wes is right. Since we do not have the chat or forum feature on www.deafskydivers.org, www.facebook.com is the best option we have in that regard. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy, I'm not deaf. I'm just an old helicopter pilot with a hearing problem. Are you using a ditter with a visual indicator? Which one and are you happy with it?

Not using anything at the moment. I used a Time-Out with LED for a while, and still have it somewhere in one of my gear storage bins. At the Deaf World Record event in Lake Wales in 2005, we were given an opportunity to demo a bunch of new Laarsen and Brusgard altitude warning devices with visual indicators with digital readout screens positioned in front of your eyes, but damned if I can remember what they were called. Several of us have been using them since.

Billy, I'm not deaf. I'm just an old helicopter pilot with a hearing problem. Are you using a ditter with a visual indicator? Which one and are you happy with it?

Not using anything at the moment. I used a Time-Out with LED for a while, and still have it somewhere in one of my gear storage bins. At the Deaf World Record event in Lake Wales in 2005, we were given an opportunity to demo a bunch of new Laarsen and Brusgard altitude warning devices with visual indicators with digital readout screens positioned in front of your eyes, but damned if I can remember what they were called. Several of us have been using them since.

they are L&B Optoma.. I have been useing them awhile now they are very nice..

I use an L&B Optima, with the LED attachment now.

I broke the LED attachment once, but I decided to repair it myself with a new replacement LED from Active Components, and it works great. I didn't mount it well the first time around, now it's been mounted integrally into the visor.

If you got a fullface, get the Optima LED "XL" accessory, rather than the regular Optima LED accessory.

I wear an open faced helmet. I guess you can mount the atachment on goggles or perhaps sew it in place? I read something about the Optima being made of poor plastic. How long you had yours, and does it appear to be holding up. Thanks for the response.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I study sign language at the University of the Free State. 2nd year. :)
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Can I join even though I'm hard of hearing? I can pass as a hearing person, but I can also sometimes pass as a Deaf person. I'm ASL fluent, and can still hear ok and along with lipreading, you might not know that I'm hard of hearing.
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

Can I join even though I'm hard of hearing? I can pass as a hearing person, but I can also sometimes pass as a Deaf person. I'm ASL fluent, and can still hear ok and along with lipreading, you might not know that I'm hard of hearing.

Not a problem. I'm the same way. Grew up hard of hearing. Perfect speech. Hearing went down further as I got older.

Great! I'll join! I Just got back from ASL coffee night! I'll join the facebook group now. But my facebook account has my real name, not Maggott, so here's my real name so you'll know me!
~Rick Mangan
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

Hello Billy,

I never noticed until now, but I noticed you removed yourself from Facebook. Why would this be the case?

It's a good recruitment tool for Deaf Skydivers and you can have a barebones account (minimal contact info, no revealing photo) if you're giving a rat's ass about Facebook privacy. The Rainbow Boogie is doubling in size thanks to Facebook Rainbow Skydivers group, you might need to take advantage of it for the next Deaf World Record to get it big enough, because there has been a long period since the last one.