LadiDadi

Odd Number of Kidneys - Anyone?

I don't consider this a disability in the least but, then again, I don't consider much of anything a disability but...

I was wondering if there are many people out there with an odd number of kidneys. That's right - not the two most people come standard with but either one kidney or three.

I donated my left kidney to my mom on June 1st, 2006.

I was wondering if there were any limitations to getting licensed if you have one kidney. The comon school of thought is that skydiving is off limits to living kidney donors because of risk of injury to the lone kidney. The transplant surgeon who removed my kidney placed only two conditions on me with regards to skydiving - Don't get shot on the right side on the way down and try not to land on anything sharp on that side once you get on the ground. He also muttered a "hey, if you're stupid enough to do it..."

Anyway, I just wondered if I was the only one here with one kidney.

Ladi Dadi - aka 'Unikidney'
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

I have two kidneys but...

One of my friends from high school had cancer when she was little and one of her kidneys was removed. She was placed on an activity restriction of non-contact sports.

My biology teacher in high school had three kidneys- go figure!

Hey I give you major kudos for helping out your mom!!! That's sp awesome!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

about ten years ago I had my right kidney
removed due to cancer.
I have done over 200 scuba dives since then
and recently ; finally obtained my D-license in
Sky diving.
As in all things we all must consider our own
comfort level with regards to risk taking activities.
I figure that I,m going to skid in sideways
with a well worn body and a young soul and say
"wow ! what a rush!"

My doctor said you are a lucky man, now go live
Your life, and that's exActly what I am doing.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;););););)

I've had cancer twice. I have one kidney and no thyroid. All of my doctors told me I could never play football:S, but they all know I skydive and don't have a problem with it.

However, I would recommend you make sure that you clearly list ALL medical issues and medications on every waiver you fill out, even if there isn't enough room - make room, add an extra sheet, anything. This would be important information for the DZ to have .....

Have fun in the sky. :)

Everyone is well informed of my 'issue' (?) 'condition' (?) 'thing' (?)... Oh hell, I tend to refer to it as 'my kidney hole'. If they haven't read the waiver thoroughly then the "I donated a kidney and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" shirt I wear ought to clue them in. I also have informed the instructors in addition to what's on the waivers.

I also eschew the 'no jewelry' rule so I can wear my medic alert dog tag (stuffed down my shirt and tucked into my bra for extra safety). I'm a super noob so you never know where I may end up landing and I figure it's worth the risk to wear it than to not. My doctor drilled into my head the importance of wearing one since the scars I have are consistent with someone who has had their gallbladder or appendix removed so EMT's may not consider the belly scars to be indicative of anything major.

This is the same doctor who said I could skydive but that I couldn't participate in the following sports:

Football
Rugby
Basketball (because I'm 5'2" - he seriously said that)
Cage fighting
Dragon slaying
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.