dunderhead1

Paralympic

read: Forums: Community: Skydivers with Disabilities:

Yes, im in right forum..

Im not banned anywhere, why should i be?

Those athletes in the pictures are not skydivers, and you're posting them here just for shits and giggles. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

do you have problem with people who partificate in paralympics...i have great respect of those guys...

Of course I do. The national training and rehabilitation center is just down the highway about 40 miles from me.

I thought you were just making fun of them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Da`gang...

Next olympic.with skydiving.. may i suggest a "no-hand-lander" as a part of canopy contest?

Actually, the jumper should be tasked with timing their exit so that any prosthetics that might fall off in free-fall also land on target as well them under canopy. In the case of multiple limbs, the prosthetics must split the target...:P

The Paralympics is getting zero mainstream coverage in the US...don't know about elsewhere.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Da`gang...

Next olympic.with skydiving.. may i suggest a "no-hand-lander" as a part of canopy contest?

I will go with you proclemation that you were not 'making fun' of people such as myself.

I will go with the assumption that you are for paraplegics skydiving-if we can learn how-
and the Paralympic movement.

It's better staying positive then enveloping all with negativity.

OK.

Well you actually HAVE something INTERESTING going on in that thought.

1) Skydiving disciplines (such as accuracy, and perhaps free fall style, or even all when I really think of it... the athletes best in the world in their disciplines of skydiving ARE well trained, dedicated athletes to their sport-like Olympians). SHOULD be included in the Olympics=generally.

(after all, we are considered a "sport", we are comprised of top level athletes world wide in various disciplines, and the dedicatiuon and training involved in becoming a champion is as difficult of a journey as the Olympic equestrian rider, marathoner, or gymnast.)

2) Paralympic committee should seriously look at having accuracy skydiving in their sports showcased. Accuracy is fairly safe for most, and requires a lot of skill and training, and for a "disabled" individual it may be one of the few disciplines to participate in (I can see some being able to fly accuracy canopies, but not be able to do canopy control distance, accuracy etc. those gates may be impossible for some of us with higher levels of paralysis since they require a lot of body position work under high performance canopies which would be dangerous for us to land=but sliding all of our landings).

NOW to the thoughts I've been harbouring.

I would like to make a presentation to the Paralympic committee to include a paraplegic jumping into the opening ceremonies of the Paralympics -and the Olympics perhaps- with accuracy landing expected.

It would show the world, of "able bodiued" as well as "disabled" that there are things we can do... that others may think not possible..
b ut if we try hard, get the right guidance,
and have the luck to be paralyzed in a way that will offer us the use of the muscle groups minimally necessary for skydiving. (clearly not all paraplegics will be able to remain stable in FF for any length of time.. i cannot imagine that we all could end up skydiving just fine if we all tried).

The point still being that I had hoped to see it happen in 2012 in London UK.
A paraplegic does an accuracy jump to the opening ceremonies.... introducing this idea world wide.

I have read of many amputees jumping, and deaf individuals.
These skydivers all seem to be doing great, have good skill and mix in well with any skydiving group-with or without limbs. ;)

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic...
even if it was thought to be a bit insensitive by some on initial impact.

Be well, and be there to give a hand when you see your local DZ with the 'gimps in free fall team" coming by ;)
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Actually, the jumper should be tasked with timing their exit so that any prosthetics that might fall off in free-fall also land on target as well them under canopy.***

I tried that once. As you may have heard, it didn't work out too well. B|B|:P

Was that you? I read about that. Did you find it? I'm an AK, so I wear supplemental suspension, plus the leg strap helps too. I was surprised when I saw my first POE in 2006 at Perris, and didn't see parts flying all over the place...:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Da`gang...

Actually, the jumper should be tasked with timing their exit so that any prosthetics that might fall off in free-fall also land on target as well them under canopy. In the case of multiple limbs, the prosthetics must split the target...:P

The Paralympics is getting zero mainstream coverage in the US...don't know about elsewhere.

yea your right Max I haven't heard anything since regular Olymics closed.. even the special olympics get more press coverage than the para-olympics.......

Actually, the jumper should be tasked with timing their exit so that any prosthetics that might fall off in free-fall also land on target as well them under canopy.***

I tried that once. As you may have heard, it didn't work out too well. B|B|:P

Was that you? I read about that. Did you find it? I'm an AK, so I wear supplemental suspension, plus the leg strap helps too. I was surprised when I saw my first POE in 2006 at Perris, and didn't see parts flying all over the place...:P

That was me! :D:D The whole situation was sad, but fucking hilarious.:ph34r:

I'm just waiting on the next POE reunion.

Maybe if we all bring extra parts, we can have our own little flea market. :S

Re pitching to the Paralympics . . .

The 1996 Paralympic Opening Ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia featured, in the opening act, the US Army Golden Knights, in a live, worldwide broadcast freefall and accuracy jump into the field where 5,000 children awaited their landing.

Norman Kent and Gus Wing were the official freefall photographers who joined with Col. Danny, Greene, Black Team leader, Sgt. Ken Brown of the Golden Knights, and the GK Black Team to illustrate in a reunion skydive of double amputee GK SFC Dana Bowman, before Juan Antonio Samaranch, 70K people in the stadium and millions of viewers worldwide, (even in the US since CBS carried the OC that year), that we can triumph over tragedy.

Parachutist has an article sometime in 1996 about the accomplishment; it was also carried by the FAI magazine, one in Russia and one in Namibia. ABC, CBS, NBC and BBC reported fairly extensively on the pursuit and accomplishment of the dream.

The pursuit included the support and guidance of Bill Booth, who donated his expertise, time and presence as an advisor in Atlanta when several Paralympians, even then competing world class athletes like gold medalist, world record setting, wheelchair racer, Scot Hollenbeck, made tandem skydives to show that they could rise above misconceptions, misperceptions.

It was a spectacular moment in time that people in Atlanta, especially at the Shepherd Spine Center, still talk about. O, after the jump was completed, those 5K children broke out in singing a rockin' version of O, Happy Day!

Nothing is impossible. With the right resources, teamwork, faith, and determination, the sky is NOT the limit! I do encourage you to find your way in and pitch it to London 2012 but be sure to contact the GK for their story so you'll know the history.

Good luck! Its not about disability, its about ability.

Julia Murphy
1996 Paralympic Opening Ceremony Skydiving Coordinator
1996 Centennial Olympic Games Employee