RickNC

Back pain

I have been out of the sport for about 8 years. For a long time I have had lower back issues. Recently I have started having them looked at.

I got an X ray which came back fine and will soon be getting an MRI. Just so happens I want to pick up the sport again right now during all this.

I was in the 82nd airborne for 7 years so I know what hard landings are like! Those jumps are probably what caused the back issues in the first place. My wife is against me picking up diving again until I get the MRI. The back is bothersome and can bother me quite a bit but is more of an annoyance to me.

It really bothers me after doing a lot of bending over like what I would do while detailing a car. I have tried to assure my wife that skydiving landings are generally much different than those hard landings I took in the military and if there is one thing I know hwo to do and do well is a PLF. Any advice? Thanks.

I have lower back issues as well. I knew it was time to take a break from jumping and get some medical attention when it hurt in freefall. Had L4/L5/S1 fused in 2001; thanks to a great surgeon I was able to do 150 jumps in 2002 and I'm still skydiving today.

Landings aren't my issue, it's the openings and the arching that get me. I jump a canopy with a reputation of opening softly (Spectre) and I'm somewhat limited in the number of jumps I can do in a weekend without being really sore on Monday.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'd suggest not jumping again until after you find out what's causing your pain (and getting it fixed). Once you are back in the air, stick with conservatively sized canopies and most importantly, learn to land them well.

I've put my jumping on hold for the time being due to lower back problems. Haven't jumped since March. I had a problem with the L5-S1 disc 5-1/2 years ago that was taken care of with epidural blocks, then a few months ago started having pain down there again. The disc has simply degenerated, triggered by carrying a load too heavy and twisting my back to set it down off my shoulders.

I'm doing PT now to see how it goes. You need that MRI for sure, just to make sure you know what the deal is. I probably could jump now as there are lots of skydivers out there with degenerative disc disease who are just being stubborn until they can't stand the pain anymore. But I'd rather play it safe.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Has anyone found a treatment that worked for their back pain? I saw Billy had blocks. I had those too along with numerous cortisone shots and even some weird procedure called "radio frequency" where they go in and burn the nerves. Neither x-ray or MRI shows any abnormality, but my back remains in constant severe pain. What worked for you?