padskydive

Cancopy size........

Us british...
Not namenig this person, he has done 250+ jumps and he is jumpmig 170 ZP exe cancopy. his DZ is sayining that he is ready for 135 canopy. he personally feels not ready for it! He wants to go for 150... another story... Peer pressure...

Myself, I have done 300 jumps, I tried out every cancopy the DZ had before buying my own first cancopy which was shilhoutte 170 (which sucked in deep spots!) then at 150 jumps, I downsized to Stilletto 150. being a kite flyer expert (I imagine myself attached to the kite... if I crash it, OUCH!!!! So hence I don't swoop!)

Now at 300 jumps, DZ is saying am ready for stiletto 120!!! Can you see my and Ian's Dillema! We are being told that we are ready for smaller canopy.... We want more fun but we put our safety first!!

Question is ... are we???

don't give in.. jump what you feel safe on. just because everyone else jumping smaller canopy doesn't mean you have too...my friend Steve always said of the swoopers they are going to get hurt.. they just don't know it yet....

Us british...
Not namenig this person, he has done 250+ jumps and he is jumpmig 170 ZP exe cancopy. his DZ is sayining that he is ready for 135 canopy. he personally feels not ready for it! He wants to go for 150... another story... Peer pressure...

How inteteresting smaller canopies seem is non-linear (switching from a 135 to a 120 was a bigger handful for me than 205 to 170) and varies with the individual.

You really don't want to find out the hard way that where that happened for you was at a size you skipped.

Now at 300 jumps, DZ is saying am ready for stiletto 120!!! Can you see my and Ian's Dillema! We are being told that we are ready for smaller canopy.... We want more fun but we put our safety first!!

This is an example of why "asking your instructors" is a bad idea. You want to start with a conservative recomendation from some one like Brian Germain and be more conservative if directed by the local jumpers; and not start with what yahoos with only a few thousand jumps think based on their limited experiences.

Now at 300 jumps, DZ is saying am ready for stiletto 120!!! Can you see my and Ian's Dillema! We are being told that we are ready for smaller canopy.... We want more fun but we put our safety first!! Question is ... are we???

When I had just 600 jumps and switched from my Batwing 134 to a Stiletto 120 the thing didn't always land in a straight line and I bruised my heels badly enough that it hut to walk for a few months.

You really don't want to make that downsize without a lot of jumps on a 135 sized elliptical before hand where you really learn how the thing flies.

Putting a few hundred more jumps on a 150 would be consistent with accepted wisdom on canopy sizes. Start swooping if you're bored, are current, and have received instruction from accepted experts at canopy flight and instruction. It's much better to get used to the speed when everything is good than being stuck with it when you're ladning out, at dusk, in a small parking lot, downwind...

don't give in.. jump what you feel safe on. just because everyone else jumping smaller canopy doesn't mean you have to.

This is what I would say too. I downsized very gradually myself. I've been on a Triathlon 120 at a wingloading of 1.4 to 1.6 for the last 700+ jumps. Before that it was a 160 at 130 jumps and then a 135 for another 350 jumps. I got the 120 when I had over 600 jumps.

Pete, stick to what you feel comfortable with. I remember you said you felt a bit scared with your Stiletto 135 when you finally came back after a 2 year hiatus. Keep jumping that. Another 2 or 3 hundred jumps should be fine. If you never want to downsize again, that's totally your decision too. Anybody that thinks otherwise can go fuck themselves. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

His DZ is saying that he is ready for ... DZ is saying I am ready for ....

Don't give in. I have much less expierience then you do but just wanna share. When I was at 50 something jumps I bought myself a canopy from someone who stopped jumping due to personal reasons. It was an electra 150 wich would have been loaded at 1.17 at that time (0.96 now :)
Blue skies & Safe jumps !

Eli :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"