Toastie

Hearing loss and Skydiving

when I was a baby I got spinalmentigaties...doctors belive thats what caused it. I have close to 70 % hearing loss. and yeah I went through 6 yrs speech therapy. all the way to 6th grade in school. you live around birmingham area?

Yeah, Spinal Meningitis... potentially fatal disease, if it don't kill you, it makes you deaf.

I lived in Birmingham for a number of years, now live 35 minutes east in a small quiet town.

I've jumped at Gold Coast and Emerald Coast DZs in the past. Been a while though.

OR meningitis can do random things like make you completely deaf in one ear, while the other ear functions 100% normal... :)

well i jumped yesterday...was a little nervous. I decided not to wear the aids. I wore the leather hat. Now I've got 90 days to do my next progressive tandem as part of the training. Hoping to make the next one by thanksgiving weekend. I just hope its not cold.

Congrats on your jump. For the record I jump with or with a hearing aide, it depends on the mood and who I jump with. I always wear a helmet(full face or protec) on my jumps. I don't think I would wear my hearing aid with a frap hat( the leather one).

This may seem like a daft question...
and thats because it is really ;)

but do any of you guys and gals (with hearing loss) use an audible altimeter ??

Im guessing not.

But I would like to start wearing ear plugs purely because some old timers at my DZ have told me how their hearing is now quite poor ...and they blame it on skydiving for 30 years plus with no ear protection..

Ive just bought my first audible alti, and am in two minds whether to just have a backup on my wrist (neptune and also a mech alti) and use ear plugs instead?

I'm hearing, but I use ear plugs with an audible altimeter. No trouble hearing it up close to my ear, either in a full face or a Protec. I also use a visual altimeter, and I have eyes.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have an audible but don't use it anymore. I can only hear it about half the time since my hearing aids muffle sounds above a certain decibel. An ear plug and hearing aid all in one.:P

yep, mine does that too. Pretty cool.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

L&B makes a great one that you can attach a LED or LCD to it and mount it on your helmet in you line of sight or in your peripheral vision. The LED is similar to what some cameraman video setups use, and the LCD is a more unique setup. They flash in different patterns at different altitudes depending on your settings and also for canopy flight. I have used both and love them. If you do a search on the forum I think it has been discussed before.

I tried to wear that hat with them in, but it cause that annoying whistling noise. so i went ahead and took them out.after I get done whith the tandem jumps and strart wearing the student rigs and and helment, i might try to wear just one and see what happens.B|

Hello first good morning I am Deaf. I also want to learn AFF how to go. Somehow I wanted to take some courses. I had experienced as tandem skydiving. It’s time for me to do my own solo skydiving. Hope one of you can assist me to achieve my dream. Please contact me. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Aiman Ai said:

Hello first good morning I am Deaf. I also want to learn AFF how to go. Somehow I wanted to take some courses. I had experienced as tandem skydiving. It’s time for me to do my own solo skydiving. Hope one of you can assist me to achieve my dream. Please contact me. Thank you.

You keep saying the same thing and asking for help.  People have responded. Do you not like the answers you are getting?

Click the link below to see your activity.  You might consider how a person can lose credibilty by repeatedly asking the same thing over and over and ignoring the answers they get.

https://www.dcredibilitym/profile/147960-aiman-ai/