rockonblonde

Vigil Or Cypress?

rockonblonde

Hey everyone,

I am buying a new AAD and I was going to get a vigil, until they had another recall (rough cutter). They seem to have them rather often (from what I've heard). So now, I don't know what would be a better choice, would someone be able to help a girl out?

Thanks!

There are two ways to think about recalls. On the down side, a recall means the manufacturer has found a problem with its product. On the up side, it means the manufacturer admits it and is willing to correct the problem.

A lack of recalls does NOT mean a manufacturer hasn't had problems with its product. It means they haven't admitted it.

As for Cypres vs Vigil, I've owned both. Either one will save your ass.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

rockonblonde

Hey everyone,

I am buying a new AAD and I was going to get a vigil, until they had another recall (rough cutter). They seem to have them rather often (from what I've heard). So now, I don't know what would be a better choice, would someone be able to help a girl out?

Thanks!

If I wanted to buy an AAD and had the choice between a Vigil and a cypress, I would get a Vigil.

Now if I had the choice between a Vigil and a Cypres, definitely Cypres.

A cypress is a tree.
A CYPRES is a CYbernetic Parachute RElease System

I have my reasons to prefer a CYPRES. I prefer the fire/no fire parameters of that device. Over the 13 years I have been in the activity I have seen/heard of more undesired fires/freezes on the Vigil, either by unit or user error. Plus I have been saved by my Cypres, so I am kind of biaised. Nevertheless I am pretty sure that a Vigil would have saved me the exact same way.

I am still not super fund of the multimode and the new offset settings. I prefered the "simple" version of the Cypres.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I prefer a cypres. I believe day to day it's easier to understand. I like mandatory service every four years. Prices were at an all time low recently, at least to the dealers.

You will get many different opinions. What ever you get READ the MANUAL, several times. If you end up with a used vigil make sure it's the manual for THAT version. And then get an experienced rigger, not a newbie, to explain it to you. Or call the U.S. distributor if you don't understand something.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Get the one that you are comfortable having on your back.

If you are having lingering doubts about one, get the other.

Cypres' have a mandatory service every 4 years.
Vigils can have an optional service any time you want. You can make it every four years if you want.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Everyone goes thru this debate... I've owned both and this is just my two cents...

Cypres is more expensive (both up front and via maintenance) but because of it's mandatory maintenance schedules it also provides me a more comfortable feeling that the device is working optimally at any given time.

Vigil is less expensive and I am pretty comfortable that it is working optimally at any given time.

Get the difference? It's not that much...

Remember this is your BACK UP to your BACK UP.... and you have to determine what comfort levels you want etc.
Woot Woot!

woppyvac

Cypres is more expensive (both up front and via maintenance) ....

Not so on purchase price.

Same initial price at Chuting Star $1220.

Paragear? Cypres $1215
Vigil 2+ $1299

Square 1 website Vigil $4 cheaper.

All numbers from websites in the last 5 minutes. YMMV
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

piisfish

I am still not super fund of the multimode and the new offset settings. I prefered the "simple" version of the Cypres.

You can still buy an expert only cypres. Never have to touch the adjustable firing altitude. Default still 750'. You can have what you want.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

everybody seems to forget that Airtec (Cypres) had a service bulletin where the unit possibly appeared to be working but actually wasn't, and their workaround was to tell possibly affected users that they should remember to press the button before EVERY jump until it would be fixed at the next maintenance (next year for my 137 Cypres units). Whereas AAD (Vigil) issued a service bulletin on the cutters and I had 2 replacements delivered to me in Qatar within 3 days, now changed and Tandem rigs now back in full service.

Basically though, I like them both but if you gave me $1300 and told me to buy one of those two I would buy a Cypres for my rig (and use the change to buy a Cypress for my garden)......

rockonblonde

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Personally I prefer Vigil. People talk about how the "mandatory" 4 year service makes the Cypres a better option. However with the Vigil they offer an entirely optional service facility that is a fraction of the price and you can choose to do it as often as you like.

Vigil are transparent with the problems. Their software versions are public knowledge (displayed on the device) and they don't hide any updates. Cypres tells you the 4 year update is mandatory and that it may include software and hardware updates but with no indication of what is done.

The Vigil algorithm is different to the Cypres algorithm. Both have their pro's and con's but unfortunately there simply isn't enough data that I am prepared to say one is better than the other. That said most people given the choice prefer the Cypres philosophy.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

"READ the MANUAL...for THAT version...get an experienced rigger...to explain it to you." OP's post specifies buying new. For anyone contemplating buying used, here's a subtle "gotcha":

I bought a new Cypres-2, manufactured in 2006. Appeared to operate fine, no error codes. Sent it to SSK for four-year service. They notified me that one or more operational parameters failed inspection, so they shipped it to Germany for further testing. (Not one of the units under service bulletin for intermittent function...my wife's was.)

Came back from SSK with no description of issues discovered, repairs, etc., just re-certified airworthy (Airtec/PIA standards, not FAA TSO.) When I turned it on to test it, I discovered changes to its function. Called SSK. They said the programming had been upgraded to the latest version. I downloaded most recent User's Guide, added the changes to my original manual, confirmed new operation with my rigger = good to go.

Agreeing with councilman24 that you should confirm the manual conforms to latest changes to that specific AAD. Your rigger can help.

We love the straightforward operation of the Cypres. Our home DZ has a small ski hill nearby. Raising the activation altitude 300' when the spot's west of the airport is a simple matter.

Agreed.

"Airtec GmbH CYPRES and CYPRES 2 Design and Test Report All Models in accordance with: PIA TS-120: AAD Design and Testing Report Format TS120cV3b" (One night I was curious about the genesis of this little miracle.)

Apologies if the abbreviation appeared misleading.

You will get loads of people who drink kool-aid from each side. The reasons I recommend one over the other are not related to safety as I believe both are safe products.

At my DZ we have hundreds of Vigils and under 10 cypres units. As a result, if you needed a cutter or a display for a vigil every rigger can get one locally. I have no local sources for Cypres parts. Nobody keeps them in stock.

This is a small item to consider. Check in with your rigger to make sure they have sufficient exposure to your choice that parts are readily available.

-Michael

JWest

It doesn't really matter. An AAD is a piece of equipment you should never use. If you unfortunately do use it both of them will do everything it can to save your life.

This has pretty much been my thought process on the subject. Although I finally decided to pull the trigger on a brand new Vigil this year and look what happens. Oi! B|
B.A.S.E. #1734

I bought the Vigil, however, I am a manual geek. I read both of their manuals a few times and the Vigil made better sense to me. Also, I did not want to deal with the 4 year service to where I have to spend more money. Vigil works great for me. Had it for 3 seasons now with no issues. Plan on using it for the next 17 too.