boffin

Bell's Palsy and Jumping

Not really what I would consider a "disability" but...
Does anyone out there have any info on jumping with Bell's. I was just diagnosed and doctor told me I should take a few weeks off, just wondering why, and if anyone has any more info...B|

There are lots of reasons to take a little time off. First, no one knows exactly what causes Bell's... stress may be one factor, and skydiving does stress the body to some degree... would that slow resolution of the Bell's? Maybe... I don't know, neither does your doc, so he's probably playing it safe.

Next, the eye and lack of being able to blink. You're going to 10,000+ feet where the air is much drier and there's lots of wind. You have no idea what even a short amount of time in those conditions can do to an unprotected cornea. I've managed a LOT of Bell's Palsys since I'm an eye doc, and I'd recommend not skydiving until the blink ability is back... you want to be able to protect that cornea, it's very vulnerable. Full face helmets can break/crack, goggles can come lose or be lost, etc. Why take the chance?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda