smacke

Solo Jumping

Hi

i am new to dz.com but was really happy to see this topic!

I have done 3 tandems and I am completely obsessed by getting thrown out of planes!

However, as it is quite expensive hobby, I am considering asking my local DZ if I would be able to do a static line, but want to get some idea whether it would be possible before I ask?

I have cerebral palsy which affects all my body, but more so my left side!!! I can walk unaided although in busy places or uneven areas, I walk with someone and find very fine hand movements difficult. I drive an automatic car with no adaptions.

Umm, not much else to say. so any advice which will help me to pluck up the courage to ask will be great!

Anything is possible, but some things are just harder than others.

You'll find that most skydivers are very accepting of people's differences and most are also very enthusiastic about the sport. You shouldn't be afraid of asking your local dropzone what they think. They are the best people to ask, anyway. Try not to be disappointed if they say no, safety has to be the number one priority in skydiving. On the other hand, they may say yes, so please don't let me discourage you. You'll never know unless you ask.

Good luck and welcome to our world!

- Dan G

I agree - anything is possible if you put your mind to it & want it bad enough.

Like you I also have CP, but fell in love with jumping when I did my 1st tandem,

I'm in no position to give you advice on skydiving, but I will give some thoughts none the less.

1) You know your body better than anyone, and it is with that in mind that I would seek out instructors and knowledgeable jumpers; people that know you in person can help you the best. As you probably know, CP varies from case to case; the challenges before you may or may not be the same as those I have to deal with & vise versa - hence why it's difficult for me to asses your physical abilities. That said, I can share what has been my experience thus far -hopefully that'll give you some insight.

I walk with the aid of forearm crutches, but outside of that I live a normal & increasingly active lifestyle. I'm very lucky, in that my body is not really effected by this condition - anything you can think of I can do. Nevertheless, skydiving demands physical fitness & some ability; furthermore, whether you're disabled or not makes little difference - everybody runs into problems because it's not natural to put your body in an arched position (essential to fly stable.) This is the problem I've encountered - I have trouble throwing my pelvis out, and as a result can't arch my back, or at least not much. Of course, for every problem there is a solution, & in this case it's strengthening the core & abdominal muscles. Aside from that I need to work on becoming more flexible.

2) I HIGHLY (can't stress this enough!!) recommend you get some tunnel time. That, better than anything else will let you know what you need to work on without the the risk of killing yourself. I have 30 minutes of tunnel time & can't wait to go back! :)
3) Look into getting a gym membership. Furthermore, above all else (in terms of working out) be consistent... (this is key!) It's all about repetition, & not being consistent is the same as not doing anything at all...

Lastly, it would be good if you filled in your profile (I don't mean that in a rude way.) There are many great people on this site that will help you on your journey, but it would be helpful if we knew who you are, where you jump, etc, etc...

Most importantly, welcome to the sport! :)

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Anything is possible, the best way to find out, is to visit the dropzone, and talk to them. It is hard on the internet to give any real advice because we can not see your limitations of movement. One thing to consider, when you did your tandems, did you fly the canopy at all? If yes, then I'm sure that is a good sign that you would be able to do static line. As already mentioned, if there is a wind tunnel in your area, that would be a great resource to see if you will be able to control yourself in the air, granted, flying in the tunnel is not entirely the same as in the sky, it is a close representation. Good luck!
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Hi Smacke,

Ralffers and I have had similar discussions about this. I also have CP. The only real challenge I've faced thus far in relation to my disability, is that I am unable to pull with a right-handed rig. I've been lucky enough to have made awesome friends in my DZO and the DZ rigger/S &TA. I'm very very close to getting my license now after an hour in the tunnel. So if ur hungry enough, you try hard enough and you want it bad enough, most other jumpers will bend over backward (pardon the pun ;) to help you make it happen.

Good luck,

Skydude.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Well I'm trying to construct a manual for Adaptive Skydiving for the disabled check it out please

http://www.jagworksdesign.com/html/Para%20Manul%20opening%20page.htm

I've got lots of experience with disabled skydiving that I believe that they can get to solo with good nstruction and the instructors having good knowledge of the students injuy's please check it out just click on the pic of the 4 way to get to the manual. I'm looking to make this an international manual so any input you have please email me and if it's something the manual needs I will put it on it with your name to it as the person who has added to it
Rod Mack D-422
[email protected]
Blue sky's Black panyies...smile..lol

Wow thanks for that! When are you thinking of publishing it?

I guess it rose a couple of other issues for me whilst reading it such as... finding instructors that are willing to take on so much extra work, and funding the extra costs ie number of tandems etc?

But your manual gave me an idea of what is reqiured ... if I pluck up the courage to ask at my DZ when I'm doing my next tandem!

Thanks