padskydive

DWR 2010

Hey all,
It has been awhile since any news was posted. I am curious if there is any new information about the DWR2010? Has a website been posted, any dates set yet? I am open to any date in September or June. Look forward to seeing many of you again and meeting more deaf jumpers.

Haven't heard anything either and its nearly 3/12 though 2009... they better set something in stone as people need to save money for trip (airfare hotels / jumps and beer) as well as schedule vacation dates etc.

who every organizing the DWR 2010 is asleep at the wheel...ground work should have been done by now...I supect we'll get the details 30 days before event....too late!>:(

It is my general experience that most boogies tend to get organized about 6 to 12 months prior; I wouldn't expect specifics of 2010 to be solidified until late 2009.

Hopefully the details come sooner -- but it would certainly be nice.

Even big boogies such as Skyfest don't often set dates this far in advance. So a little patience :)
I'll be definitely aiming to be at DWR2010 -- but maybe hold it at the same time as another bigway camp (for maybe a 40-way mixed deaf/hearie big way).

I don't expect exact details yet. Most dropzones don't have boogie plans that far in advance. But I was wondering if we have a time frame picked out and a dropzone picked for sure. Also I am curious if there is a website setup for future information.
--on a side note, is any deafs interested in getting together at a boogie in United States this year for an informal practice run(maybe this summer or fall)?

about 6 to 12 months prior;?

6 months sure gives you lot time to save up for trans-alantic airfare, last time I checked cost was at least 1500 round trip from JFK.. taxes and fees etc. more if your father away.. like California...add in hotel, food jumps etc...it adds up in cost pretty quick..

people need to know dates of event so they can plan for it...

I don't expect exact details yet. Most dropzones don't have boogie plans that far in advance. But I was wondering if we have a time frame picked out and a dropzone picked for sure. Also I am curious if there is a website setup for future information.
--on a side note, is any deafs interested in getting together at a boogie in United States this year for an informal practice run(maybe this summer or fall)?

I believe Fred Goebel is trying to set something up at Skydive Arizona this August. I'm not involved in any of the planning this time. Just don't have the time or money to do anything this year, especially after May. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

about 6 to 12 months prior;?

6 months sure gives you lot time to save up for trans-alantic airfare, last time I checked cost was at least 1500 round trip from JFK.. taxes and fees etc. more if your father away.. like California...add in hotel, food jumps etc...it adds up in cost pretty quick..

I'm going to be probably camping if I can.

Also, there are fare sales that bring the fare down quite a bit, to about $500 plus taxes, for about $800 total roundtrip. You have to experiment with things like Sunday versus Monday return, to things like morning and afternoons, and try multiple sites, at different times of the year. From time to time, I've seen JFK-to-Brussels for only $300, plus taxes, for about $550-ish. Sometimes flying on a different day costs a few hundred more. Anyway you do have to keep an eye on fares every few weeks, and time it well. A fare alerting service can also help. Also European has lots of frequent train service, so you may be able to catch an airfare sale to a different European city... Also, it's usually cheaper to buy airfare two-to-four months prior, rather than 8 months prior.

Start saving money anyway for a probable summer-time event, but be prepared for late spring time and early fall time.

Test search: Air France flight from JFK to BCN (Barcelona, near Empuriabravia) Tues May 19th - Tues May 26th, from www.expedia.ca -- only $400 U.S. INCLUDING TAXES ROUNDTRIP right now (search done March 1st).

See.... It's not $1500 ... It can be much cheaper if you time the searches about 1 to 2 months prior, and catch the cheap fares. Don't buy 8 months prior (too expensive), don't buy 1 weeks prior (too expensive) -- always buy medium-term cheap tickets -- usually approx 1 to 2 months before the vacation, and save about 50 - 75%. But bottom line, do the fare searches every week, beginning 6 months prior the vacation, and buy only when the tickets drop to within 25% of the cheapest known fares for that particular route...

:S I am sure most of you know we cancelled the 2009 DWR because of the bad encomy.. Wish mx757's company can bring all of us over the sea. I bet not all of us able go over there . I still want jump over the seas.. No DWR for 3 years.. Wish every year since we grew. I may have David, Wesly, Jonathan, Charl, Bruce,and Mike for the fun jump some where we live in Texas and we welcome John from DC and any of you welcome,too B|

Why not try getting some sponsors for event? I was able to do that for last Pieces of Eight (POE) amputee skydives event I organized I got $5000 to use for skydives and wind tunnel time with Dan BC at Perris...

Yea the economy is shit right now so might be harder to raise sponsors but I learned a lot from organizing the last POE events, sponsors are major corporations and companies that are deaf friendly like hearing aid mfg. etc.

if you could get sponsors to pay for skydives etc I'm sure more people would commit to DWR 2010..

Also, the video phone market is exploding with new models from a variety of companies. Sorenson (VP-200), CSDVRS (Z340), Ojo, etc... Worth a try.

Since DWR 2010 is supposed to be in Europe, I don't know if any of these US based companies would invest or sponsor an over-seas event.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I just got a new VP-200 . Nice to have 866- for the hearing to call me. Instead they have call the relay to give them my nu. too much trouble for them go around.. [:/] ....It is much better than my old VP-100... Hope find one good sponsor to bring all of us over the seas.. I think next month at Spaceland will have the Amputee tandems..

Somehow I get the feeling I won't be the only one. There should be many "first" out there to cover the beer debt to anyone organizing this thing.;)

The best part about the beer over there is that there are no alcohol % restrictions, and there are a much wider variety of good European beers there that you can't find here. I just hope I can find a way to get over there.