skydivermom

Sign Language and hurting hands

Hi all,

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I've been interested in Signing for many years now, and finally decided to become an interpreter. I start classes next Spring, but have been doing a DVD class on the computer. I am loving it, but I notice that after practicing for a while, my hands ache a little bit.

Is this normal or is it the beginning of Carpel Tunnel Syndrom? Are there any cases of people getting Carpel Tunnel from signing so much?

I hope not...I LOVE signing!:)
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Yeah, you're not alone. I'd think that if you jumped full speed into sign language, your hands and wrists are going to get sore.

There is a reason that interpreters don't do an assignment that lasts more than an hour alone. If there is one that goes on more than an hour, there usually will be a team of interpreters that take turns.

Give yourself breaks so your hands can rest. Eventually, you'll build up some stamina later, but of course, everybody has their limit.

It's a bit like running a marathon, you can't finish one if you don't train properly for it. But rest assured, no interpreting job is a marathon of its own.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Here are a few hints that helped me when I was doing full time interpreting at the college:

Keep your hands warm before starting signing. (I wore gloves during the winter, and placed my hands under warm water before signing)

Rest when you can. (When the instructor isn't talking, place your hands on your lap)

When fingerspelling, I found that if I held my right arm just below the wrist with my left hand, that gave me more support.

Don't expect to support your self doing full time signing, you can't sign 40 hours a week.

Keep your signs small. No reason to sign big if you aren't doing signing for a large crowd.

When I was in the Interpreter Training Program, the instructors taught us some good exercises for our hands and arms.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I didn't realize it paid by the hour. The research I have done has indictated there is a great shortage of interpreters, and that the pay is decent.

I love signing, and would not be doing it just for the money, but I'm pretty sure the pay is based on something other than the amount of time you sign. At least that's what I've been told.

Someone clarify if you can please.
Mrs. WaltAppel

I didn't realize it paid by the hour. The research I have done has indictated there is a great shortage of interpreters, and that the pay is decent.

I love signing, and would not be doing it just for the money, but I'm pretty sure the pay is based on something other than the amount of time you sign. At least that's what I've been told.

Someone clarify if you can please.

I'm pretty sure it's based on the hours you sign. I don't think there is an interpreter alive who could interpret 40 hours a week. But the pay is pretty good per hour though, even for free-lance interpreters. Throw in the mileage pay for your travel to and from assignments, and it's not too bad.

However, IF you get a job as a staff interpreter at say, a vocational rehab office, then you get paid like it's a 40 hour a week job. Granted, it's usually the most experienced and highly rated interpreters that get those staff jobs.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks Billy. It helps knowing as much as I can ahead of time. I'm not sure yet what area I would like to work in, but I'm sure I can cross that bridge when it's time.

Geez, I can't imagine anyone signing 40 hours straight either[:/]

Mrs. WaltAppel

kathleen
us deafies sign 24/7 40 hours wek is nothing....:ph34r:B|

Yeah but we grew up that way. ;) As did CODAs (Children Of Deaf Adults).

Not that I'm going to actively encourage my little girl to, but chances are she'd make a good interpreter when she becomes an adult.

Hey Mike how are you!?:)

I spoke with a career counselor today at my school.
She gave me some fantastic information. Apparently the job market is awesome where I live, and the pay is great too! Of course that's just icing on the cake:)

Mrs. WaltAppel

Hi , I use my hands all my life nothing hurt me but for who start learning to use their hands and may have some sore samething I tried talking all day and hurt my mouth.:P. I see some senior over 70's limits use thier hands and speaks.. Maybe you use your hands to pet us alot:S. You will get use to it in few months and we can talk in the sky...B| Fred

kathleen

Ha Ha..........and Deafies tent to sign smaller.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

kathleen

Ha Ha..........and Deafies tent to sign smaller.

Not when they get mad. :D