dear1

Hope to find ways to Skydive around my disabilities

Sorry, new here and haven't read all of these. I am so excited though. I come from a family that skydives, and I grew up caring mostly about the day I could. When I was old enough I was told not to due to a neck injury, but did it anyway. I couldn't not. I loved it, but didn't dare try again because my body was effected.
I have loved the sport since I was eight, and would give anything to find a way to Jump again, or be a part in any way. My neck wasn't my only problem, just the only one known at the time. I now am going deaf, have a neurological movement disorder and many other disorders causing problems with movement, and now am possibly loosing my sight. I would love to feel that feeling and freedom, it would mean everything to me, but I had since thought I may never have that chance. I have parasailed and crave that feeling. I am hoping to find a way to help here, or ever to find ways to help others someday.

I also want to say how much I appreciate the kind and pc language used here. I appreciate that, and feel it always shows a great amount of respect to people who have these problems. I also work with people with disabilities, some I know have had an interest, but I haven't known of a way. This section alone is the best thing I have seen in a long time. THANK YOU!!!

It would help if you could name the disability or disease that is affecting you. I talked with a guy years ago who was a skydiver, then he was afflicted with something called Neurofibromatosis, or something like that. It caused tumors to grow everywhere. His hearing was the first to go, then his balance, and eventually his strength, to the point where he stopped skydiving when he could no longer do it safely. He passed away many years after his last jump.

I hope you're not headed in that direction, but there should be a way to skydive if you can do it safely. Better grab the opportunity now. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If I were you I would try to get in contact with a doctor who is knowledgeable about skydiving. Hopefully one will chime in on here, because I don't know which skydiving docs would be knowledgeable of your specific issues. I'm wondering if the skydive you made caused an injury, or just temporarily aggravated your problems?

I know that when I was hurt and on a hiatus from the sport doing observer rides was actually really fun! That's where you don a rig and ride the plane up and watch all the jumpers get out. The ride down can be amazing. If you're interested in doing that, talk to a dropzone with a fast plane and a fun pilot. I did a whole bunch of observer rides in a porter with huge doors on either side. After the jumpers got out, the pilot started flying upsidedown for a bit and spiraling down, keeping up with the people in freefall. He even did some of the weightless stuff with me. (My favorite.) I have no clue how much of that was legal,:P but it really made me not miss skydiving so much, and watching people jump out is still a pretty cool thing to do.

Also, maybe tunnel time could be something to satisfy you. Have you thought about doing tunnel time with extra assistance from the tunnel coaches? I'm definitely not even remotely close to an expert in this, but maybe you could call up a windtunnel and ask their advice.

There is also tandem paragliding that you could look into.. yeah, it's different. But I would think that without that opening shock it could potentially be a way for you to enjoy the freedom of flight. Not to mention it lasts longer than a skydive.

I wish you luck with finding a way to enjoy this sport despite all the crap that you're having to deal with. Folks like you who roll with the punches and keep on adapting to everything absolutely amaze me!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Thank you for responding, the jump actually didn't hurt me, but I'm told the freefall could have, the pressure agrivated my symptoms, but was worth it and anything can. I know some docs that jump but haven't talked to them about me. I was happy being a bistander and had accepted I may not be able to do it. I did know about going up, my uncle used to do that, that was the closest he could get. I love to fly and haven't done that in a while, I'm gonna have to go again, thanks. I have also parasailed and loved it. I crave that feeling, Skydiving is in my blood so anything I can do is worth checking into and if possible trying.

I have two genetic disorders that aren't specified by type. They can't be without genetic testing that takes a long time to get done.
Anyway, one is a connective tissue disorder, my bones, muscles and skin are abnormal. My skin is just really sensitive and stretchy, it's nicknamed the contortionist disease because I am able as are all who have it, to bend in anyway. With presure I bend without meaning to, which wears down joints and just isn't good I guess. I no longer have hip, sholder, or jaw joints at all, and many others are worn beyond my age. I have the physical body well over a 90 year old. I look my age, but have wear beyond my age.
I also have a disorder likely Leukodystrophy, like ALS, or in my type, like an adult form of Lorenzos oil's. My family has this, and I have the symtoms, just don't know the type.
Anyway, both can cause similar problems so I'm twice as likely bot many things. I am loosing my hearing and possibly my sight, but haven't yet. I require leg braces to walk, and a walker, almost a wheel chair. I have people who would go tandom, it's just finding ways to help them beyond the jump. I would need to have supports probably but never realised how possible it could be for me, or some clients.
I realise I still may not be able to, but even if I can't, I have a tallent for adaptive help and equipment, and was going to nursing school before my body took over, but I have some knowledge so even if I can help find ways for others to experience this feeling at least once, it would be worth it to me. I want to know for more than just my sake, and thanks again I will be checking into trying your sudgestions. Sorry this is so long, it's hard to explain, and thanks so much again.