Kritterchef

Rejection by Insurance companies

I hooked in dec. 7... No insurance.... about 80K in hospital bills etc, but who cares they can't take what I ain't got... But now I need insurance before I jump again, and everytime I apply I get rejected... Any thoughts similiar problems? Solutions? I wouuld prefer to avoid a high risk health care plan..

You may well have screwed yourself out of any reputable insurance policies...

I don't know what else to say... but you can try doing a search on health insurance. There's been several threads on that subject on here in the past.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

For those rejected by ins. companies the only way to get ins. would be through an employer - but you may even get rejected then, as some state's allow a 'preexisting condition' clause.

You may not be able to avoid a high risk plan at this point. I ran into this problem and was only able to get it through my work.
Arianna Frances

Your mistake was in not having _any_ kind of health insurance before the incident. One thing "billy" did right was remove the pre-existing condition during insurance company transfers... all one has to do now is provide a certificate of insurance from their previous health insurance company and the pre-existing clause is excluded. If you have enough money to skydive, you have enough money to buy a catastrophic policy from an HMO.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I concur I cannot be insured for any reasonable amount of money.

Seems there is a clause that allows Ins carriers to exclude disabled Veterans.

It is a good thing I still have the VA.

Only now I need to live within a 2hr ride from a good one.

VA will pay the bills at a regular hospital if it is an ambulance ride to it, but then afterwards the creditors hound you for what the VA would not pay due to being deemed too much cost by their calculations.

Hey,

I'm a studying insurance agent....I have a property casualty license, and am 3 days away from getting a life and health license. Anyway, the oly way (I can only speak for Illinois) you can be insured is through a group policy; another words, through your employer. If I come accross any good information, I'll post it here. Best of luck.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Any thoughts similiar problems? Solutions? I wouuld prefer to avoid a high risk health care plan..

My friend was in similar situation. He had a buddy, who was employed and had health coverage from his employer. And the buddy signed him up for his health insurance as his domestic partner :)

You can also get it through employer. However, if your employer is a small business with less than 50 people, you may be required to fill a health questionary. You cannot be declined for pre-existing conditions, but the insurance company can raise the group rate for the employer (although I heard that the range the insurance company could raise premium is very narrow).

Otherwise your only option seems to be MRMIP (major risk), which was about $600/mo last time I checked it.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I hooked in dec. 7... No insurance....

Did you break a lot of stuff? I know somebody that broke his right leg (tib/fib) with no insurance. The bills were "only" about $12K and he came up with the money. Then he tried to get insurance. What he ended up with was through "Golden Rule" - no coverage on right leg, but OK coverage otherwise. It is not a "high risk" plan so the premiums are sane. If you broke a lot of stuff, though, the exclusions might make such a plan pretty useless.

Here in Oklahoma, there is a high risk pool set up by the state. Basically, you have to get rejected by two private carriers, and then you can apply for the state pool. The rate structure is pretty simple and only varies a little by age - you don't have to get a quote, you just look up your age on the chart on a Web site. The premiums are quite steep, though. You might check with your state insurance commissioner's office to see if something like this is available to you.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

So insurance companies consider an injury like a broken leg a preexisting condition even if it's completely healed?

What happens if I've broken a leg in the past and I've always been covered then my insurance lapses?

Will I be excluded except for group plans if I can't show continuous coverage to the point where I sign up again?

So insurance companies consider an injury like a broken leg a preexisting condition even if it's completely healed?

The answer is an unqualified maybe. It might depend on the time since the injury or any number of other factors. Only the insurance company knows for sure.

What happens if I've broken a leg in the past and I've always been covered then my insurance lapses?

The simple (but possibly incorrect) answer is: You're screwed. I, personally, didn't understand the significance of COBRA coverage (basically, expensive insurance for when you're not in a group plan) and went without it between jobs once. I was able to get on the group plan at my new job but it was not a simple process. The HR people told me that if I'd had COBRA coverage, I would have signed up a couple of papers on the day I started work and that would have been it.

Will I be excluded except for group plans if I can't show continuous coverage to the point where I sign up again?

Maybe. I don't completely understand how it works, but I _think_ the insurance he has is a "group" policy, even though individual people that aren't getting insurance through their job can sign up for it.

Probably the best way to get a specific answer is to call up the insurance company directly and ask. If you're really paranoid, call from a pay phone, or pay cash for a pre-paid cell phone. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

why do you need insurance before you jump? does holliister require insurance to jump. don't think so. you need ins for major medical. policies have so many loopholes in them, you end up paying for most things. if you don't have much, CMSP, will cover any major problems. in california, fill out the paperwork when you enter the hospital,if your pull arm isn't broken, and you might qualify. VA clinics in the bay area should also help. hope this helps. tom

Probably the best way to get a specific answer is to call up the insurance company directly and ask. If you're really paranoid, call from a pay phone, or pay cash for a pre-paid cell phone. :)

Well there's no need for secrecy, they did pay for the surgery to fix my leg. I'm just asking incase I must avoid any lapse in coverage in future, for example through COBRA.

I have accident insurance with Mutual of Omaha. I can't get health insurance because of a preexisting condition. Accident Insurance will only cover you in an accident. I asked my agent about accidents because of skydiving, and he said I was covered.

Side bar: Last Nov. I broke my hand, and my Accident Insurance did their job.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The simple (but possibly incorrect) answer is: You're screwed. I, personally, didn't understand the significance of COBRA coverage (basically, expensive insurance for when you're not in a group plan) and went without it between jobs once. I was able to get on the group plan at my new job but it was not a simple process. The HR people told me that if I'd had COBRA coverage, I would have signed up a couple of papers on the day I started work and that would have been it.

Did the tell you what the COBRA rates would have been ?

http://www.calstate.edu/Benefits/healthcare/cobra.rates.shtml

A friend of mine was between job's and the COBRA very expensive ... $600 + /month for a family coverge if I remember correctly. Most of us can't afford anything like that when were out-of-work :o

I broke my leg (Tibia Plateau Fracture) 3 weeks ago and the hospitial alone was $19K, the insurance "contract price" was $8k .. and that does not include the cost of the surgery to put 5 screws in my leg B|
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

Insurance is largely regulated at the state level. Find a professional agent who can navigate for you and research all your options.

Some state pools are downright cheap, some are outrageous - and I believe there are states without any.

Pre-X rules, continuous coverage requirements, waiting periods, underwriting guidelines, eligibility rules - damn near everything - varies by state. Find a local agent and see what is available.

Worst case scenario: buy a high risk, carrier of last resort type plan and keep it just long enough to get the ID card - most do not have expiration or termination dates on them. Then cancel the coverage. I doubt if any DZ calls the carrier to see if coverage is in force.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I broke my leg (Tibia Plateau Fracture) 3 weeks ago and the hospitial alone was $19K, the insurance "contract price" was $8k .. and that does not include the cost of the surgery to put 5 screws in my leg B|

Pretty typical. My neck fusion surgery bill was $44K. The amount determined to be "allowed" by Mother Blue was nearly exactly half. On top of that, for my $2K deductible, I was going to make payments, and out of the blue the billing office called and said if I was willing to pay it off quickly they would discount it 40%! So I put it on VISA and saved $800.

There is still a lot of fat that can be squeezed out of the health care business without doing any harm. That process will slow to a snails pace (if not grind to a halt) if we remove the competitive elements of how it is financed.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

USPA does NOT offer medical insurance. They do offer coverage if you slam into a house and break a window. They also cover if you some how manage to hurt a non-jumper but they will not touch any of your medical bills.

USPA third-party liability insurance
Third-party liability insurance comes with membership. All USPA individual members, regular or temporary, have coverage for property damage and bodily injury liability insurance in accordance with all the terms and conditions of the policy. The third-party liability insurance does not cover medical benefits to the member. This insurance is valid for skydives made in accordance with USPA's Basic Safety Requirements and the Federal Aviation Regulations. Most drop zones assure that jumpers have this type of insurance by requiring current USPA membership to jump there. All claims must be brought in the U.S. or Canada.

Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
USPA members may apply for Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance. With this coverage, you are protected whether you are involved in a skydiving accident or in an unrelated accident at home or away, anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day.

Term Life Insurance
Instant internet quote finds competitive life insurance rates for USPA members in 7 seconds. Four life insurance companies have been identified and are willing to insure USPA members
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com