lee091949

Skydiving after heart valve replacement; specifically ones on coumadin

A question keeps reoccuring on a heart valve replacement site that I belong to.
Some members have received mechanical heart valves, and they are on coumadin (anticoagulant) to prevent clot formation on their replaced valve.
My question is whether most DZ's would let them jump as new students?
Does anyone know?
Thanks

I don't think the issue of taking coumadin, would specifically stop you from skydiving. that medication isn't a problem. However my greater concern and probably that of a DZO is going to be your cardiac condition. Your first conversation should be with your doctor and the surgen who did the replacement to see if they feel it is safe for you to skydive. Are you considering a tandem or do you have a desire to go through AFF? Having a cardiac history should not preclude you from skydiving from the point of view of the sport. However, without knowing the specifics of your condition it would be difficult for any of us to say.

Thanks for your post!
I received a tissue aortic valve, and therefore I'm not on coumadin. My cardiologist said there was no reason I couldn't resume skydiving (I stopped when my valve stenosis was discovered 5 years ago).

People with mechanical valves have to be on coumadin, and one member with a mechanical recounted his experience with the FAA in seeking to regain his private pilots license after the replacement. He had to provide a record of his INR (blood clotting) readings for a year before they accepted that the coumadin wasn't an issue. We've also had firefighters who were unable to resume their jobs due to coumadin. If they have a tissue valve implanted (no coumadin) they can continue in their profession.
The decision to go with a mechanical or a tissue valve generally revolves around how much the coumadin restricts your lifestyle. I have always thought that a new skydiving student, on coumadin, would be more prone to bleeding incidents. I broke my ankle on my first jump and had alot of soft tissue swelling. I hate to think how bad it would have been if I'd been on coumadin.

Taking Coumadin could be a problem. I wouldn't be concerned about the heart valve replacement. If you're not taking Coumadin, what's your concern????

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail