shveddy

Sewing machine stitch consistency help

I'm trying to get my sewing machine to stitch ripstop consistently. It seems like the feed dogs aren't gripping the material well, so the stitch length can vary quite a bit. Two questions:

1. I have my foot set to maximum pressure on the fabric and that could be totally wrong. Is it?

2. Short of replacing the feed dogs (not worth it on a cheap machine), is there any way I can get them to grip better? Sharpen them with a file? Put some sort of material on it?

3. Anything else I'm missing?

I found that on my 31-15 the presser foot would stick intermittently after I would drop it after a lift. I got into a habit of pulling down after dropping via a the back lever, and that cured my problem with inconsistent pressurize between the foot/feeddogs.

Could you be experiencing the same problem ?

I'm trying to get my sewing machine to stitch ripstop consistently. It seems like the feed dogs aren't gripping the material well, so the stitch length can vary quite a bit. Two questions:

1. I have my foot set to maximum pressure on the fabric and that could be totally wrong. Is it?

2. Short of replacing the feed dogs (not worth it on a cheap machine), is there any way I can get them to grip better? Sharpen them with a file? Put some sort of material on it?

3. Anything else I'm missing?

It could be that the feed dogs are worn. They also could be out of adjustment. Also your needle plate could be bent from a needle strike.
All of these things really need to be looked at.

The needle plate can be straightened (if bent) by removing it, then turning upside down on the flat anvil part of a vise or any smooth metal surface. Then gentle tap back into place/straight and flat.

Be sure to sand any burrs off that may be around the needle hole. Emery rope is best for this purpose.

The feed dogs can be dull or worn. This comes from someone rotating the machine with the presser foot resting against the feed dog without anything between the two of them. This will also damage the presser foot by "grooving out" the presser foot on the bottom side. So make sure the bottom is flat and smooth.

To check and see if the feed dogs are in adjustment, simply look to see how high the teeth come above the needle plate. They should come up no less than 60% of the depth of the teeth and no more than 100% of the teeth.

The other adjustment for the feed dog is to make sure it is centered front to back in regards to stroke/movement in the needle plate.

Lastly check to see if the presser bar is not limiting out.

With the feed dogs in the lowest position and with the presser foot in place, make a mark on the presser bar just where it exits the bottom of the head. Now remove the presser foot, then lower the presser bar and see if the mark is now lower and closer to the needle plate as it should be.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Please forgive me if I say that sometimes it is a problem with the hand of the operator. Light fabrics can require more finesse, especially on some machines.

I'm not dismissing any of the mechanical comments made by you or others, but bringing up this issue, even if it doesn't apply to you, is worthwhile as a caution to other readers.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Feed dogs can be adjusted to how much they go up over the plate and they can be sharpened. But I would call repairman.

I usually adjust pressure on pressure foot, so it just doesn't lift a fabrics when needle is taveling up. So it is not on maximum pressure.

Also what helped me a lot (especially with zigzags) is plastic presser foot that has a groove for upper stitching to pass trough foot.

Please forgive me if I say that sometimes it is a problem with the hand of the operator. Light fabrics can require more finesse, especially on some machines.

Agreed that the operator can make a difference.
But at the same time a properly working sewing machine lessens that fact a great deal.

Think of it in these terms. A bad operator using a bad sewing machine will almost always have a bad outcome.

vs

A bad operator using a good functioning machine will maybe have a bad outcome.

Also, IMHO a properly set up sewing machine will not need more finesse on lighter materials to maintain a constant stitch rate.

MEL

Feed dogs can be adjusted to how much they go up over the plate and they can be sharpened.

While it can be done, I can honestly say I have never seen anyone sharpen a set of feed dogs.
New ones are very inexpensive, say less than $10 in most cases.

Actually a matched set consisting of a new needle plate, new feed dog, and new presser foot is usually less than $25 USD for a single needle drop feed machine.

MEL

While it can be done, I can honestly say I have never seen anyone sharpen a set of feed dogs.
New ones are very inexpensive, say less than $10 in most cases.

This is true if you have newer machine. But I have one machine (Durkopp) in my arsenal witch is built after WW II in eastern Germany. There are no parts avaliable for this machine in the world. So I had to repair those feed dogs. Without them my machine can be used only as ancor.B|

Set presser foot light so material does not rise while needle is coming up. Sharpening feed dog may damage material. My 31-15 works perfect with worn feed dog from 1949. Proper adjustment for feed dog height is one half of the teeth rising above the plate at highest point. Jim T D-3411

My 31-15 works perfect with worn feed dog from 1949.

Jim,
How did it get worn??

Proper adjustment for feed dog height is one half of the teeth rising above the plate at highest point.

I guess it all boils down to what materials you are working on and where you get your info from.

I did a quick look and scanned a page from the Singer 143W manual. It actually quotes a full tooth, then goes on to say what ever makes you happy.

See attached:

MEL