dimbohall

Skydiving with no hands

Hi,

I have a friend who is interested in skydiving, but has not got fully formed hands. He has asked me to try and find out if it is possible.

First off, this sounds a lot worse than it is. He is able to drive a normal car, is a very good paraglider pilot and has the ability to grip things pretty well. He has a kind of opposing digit on both hands, and although they are small, he uses them to great effect.

The problem, as I see it (and I don't know shit), is that the cutaway sponge would have to be a hoop (which he could grab pretty securely I would say). Grabbing a hackey or other type of handle would probably be a problem. Could he open with a rip-chord?

Solutions please..........

He should talk with someone locally who really knows gear -- not just any rigger, not just any instructor -- someone who really thinks about and knows gear. If there's a local manufacturer that would be best of all.

I'd have to say that a ripcord would be a very reasonable thing -- there is at least one jumper here on dz.com who uses one. And a loop to cut away is also not unheard of. You could even make the cutaway a third ripcord (although that's not quite as desirable because of the possibilitiy of confusion).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)