lefty619

Hello all. I'm a newbie-both to skydiving and forum posting. So please forgive any newbie mistakes or newbie questions. I was medically discharged from the Navy due to knee complications a couple of years ago. Although I thought my first jump (tandem) would totally blow my knee out, it didn't. I know that landing on my own will probably be much harder, thus more dangerous. But I can't get over the feeling of jumping out of a plane @ 13K ft.! Now I have the bug, and am planning on getting my A license. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Jump a big docile student type canopy, and jump in faverable wind conditions and you should have soft stand up landings every time. Or learn to do a butt slide landing. I forget who.. but one jumper always lands like that... you may want to look into getting a knee brace or such to help proect your knee...

A jumper I know has horrible knees, too many injuries over a short period of time. He always does a butt slide on landing to help prevent future injuries. It's not a 100% sure way to prevent injuries, but it is something that you can consider.

Your best bet would be to go to your local dz and talk to the instructors and dzo there and get their input.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

Or learn to do a butt slide landing.

Don't become dependant on those - can fracture your vertebrae, especially if you land away from the "relatively safe" grass fields. Places like hard surfaces, hidden stones, pavement.

I have read multiple dropzone.com threads in the last year about these horror stories that have actually happened.

Nontheless, it does appear that a butt slide landing is acceptable in many cases -- Tandems do that all the time -- and a couple of disabled guys do it too -- just don't make it your only landing knowledge if possible.

PS: I am not an instructor. Do lots of research and talk to instructors.

Thanks for the replies. I'm studying as much as possible-mainly the SIM from USPA. I'm in contact with my DZ, but haven't talked much about my knee. The butt-slide technique does sound much safer-to my knees at least. But, the increased danger to my back doesn't sound too cool. But, then again, its all about risk management. And giving myself as many options as possible is always a good thing. I'm getting a lower leg work-out together, and am looking at a stabilizing knee brace. I'll definitely study more about landings, as well as talk to my local DZ (Skydive San Diego). Thanks for the advice!

I was reading here and on the Big Air website that parachutes with air-locks are suppose to provide a softer landing more often than a canopy w/out them. I was looking at the Lotus b/c it looks more student, less performance oriented. Any comments on air-locks? There are a lot in the gear section, most positive. But I figure that people with certain disabilities-bad knees, ankles, back etc.-would be more interested in consistently landing softer than those who are perfectly healthy-not that they want to bounce off the ground or anything. I know that I may be jumping the gun here, seeing that I don't even have my license, but I had to ask.

What is the nature of your knee problems? I've ripped out both acl's. Had one reconstructed and one not. Had more surgeries than I can count. I jump with acl braces on both legs. Forget the butt slide.........learn to plf. The plf is one of the most important tools for any skydiver with knee problems. Actually it's an important tool for anybody. You'll hear a lot of people say they are a landing technique from the past and round parachutes. I think they're wrong and you'll find lots of threads on here that agree with me. When you get into skydiving think about a canopy course. Like Scott Millers in Deland. He is a big supporter of learning and mastering the plf. No better endorsement than that I would say.

Good luck and oh, invest in some good knee braces. I never jump without mine.

Sorry for not keeping up on my thread. I've been on vacation for a couple of days. I have pain in both knees. My biggest problems come from my left knee though. I have instability problems, and chondromalacia. I was reading about the parachute landing fall in the USPA student manual. It seems fairly straight forward-knees and feet together, and roll over to one side. I will be jumping again in a week or two, so I'll be sure to mention it to my instructor, if he doesn't bring it up first. I just ordered a couple of books, and a DVD going over the principles of skydiving; I'll be sure to pay attention to the plf landing portions. Thanks for the advice.

They should teach you how to plf in your first jump course. I'm sure it's still part of the standard course. You just might want to make sure they understand it's more important to you to learn how to do one because of your knee problems. Like one other person mentioned a big canopy and good wind conditions are a must. It was a long time before I would jump in no wind days.

Sounds like you are off to a good start and gathering as much information as you can.

Blue Skies

Sorry for not keeping up on my thread. I've been on vacation for a couple of days. I have pain in both knees. My biggest problems come from my left knee though. I have instability problems, and chondromalacia. I was reading about the parachute landing fall in the USPA student manual. It seems fairly straight forward-knees and feet together, and roll over to one side. I will be jumping again in a week or two, so I'll be sure to mention it to my instructor, if he doesn't bring it up first. I just ordered a couple of books, and a DVD going over the principles of skydiving; I'll be sure to pay attention to the plf landing portions. Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry both my knees are completely trashed and I can land safely with no problem at all.

Besides you can always butt slide....who cares!!!
you don't have to wash the jumpsuit anyways ok?

Learn to PLF!

Pretty doesn't count as much as being able to walk away