Eule

Ultrasonic ground prox warning?

Hello all!

I've been listening to the back shows of Skydive Radio and on one of them, there was an interview with
John Fleming, who is blind. One of the things he mentioned was that getting a flare over the radio is
sometimes "interesting". I was thinking about this and wondered if an ultrasonic distance measuring
system - as is used in the back bumper of fancy cars - would help. Basically it's an echo-location system:
send out a burst of sound, time how long it takes to come back, and derive distance from that. It would
get built into a little box with a battery, and have maybe a speaker or a pager motor (vibration) or both to
signal the user. The ones I have seen for aftermarket installation on cars claim a range of 1.5m-2.5m
(about 5 to 8 feet) and I'm not sure that would be enough. I also don't know how it would deal with
things like tall grass or water, either. Just wondering if anyone had ever tried anything like this, or if there
is a major reason why it wouldn't work. Thanks!

Eule
(student jumper, but experienced geek)
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I was wondering what the risks are if you were to take a tennis ball, golf ball or a super ball and put a string on it. Make the string the length of the proper flare distance, plus the length from feet to brakes, when flying straight ahead without brakes. Once you feel the ball dragging on the ground, you flare. You could also tie the string to the laces on shoes.

OK, I can think of a few problems.

Golf ball wouldn't be good to drop from height.

Tennis ball might get in the way.

Super ball might work.

What to do with ball before landing pattern time?

What if the ball were to tangle with lines or something else? (could you use reserve red thread so it would just break away?)

Any way to make this work?

Would anyone want to?

As a student with few standup landings, I wouldn't mind letting a ball help me gauge the distance.

Jeff
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

you'll fix your focus on the ball.. and not watch where your going and hit something.. not a good idea if you ask me... student hit things all the time..

search post for artical about judgeing flare height you'll find some good tips...better than ball idea...safer too

A better idea would be to do what they did in the dambusters.

Make a small box and contain in there 2 x really powerful lights + batteries.

Angle them so that they meet on the ground when you are the proper flaring height above the ground.

When the beams cross...flare.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.