WooHoo

High Blood Pressure

I took up skydiving this year, and have logged 58 jumps and got my A license. Recently whilst visiting my doctor for a throat infection, I asked for my blood pressure to be taken. Over the years it has been up but on the upper limit before medication. The doc pulled the kind of face normally seen in old silent movies, and told me it was very very high, and immediately put me on medication.

This was a week ago, the BP has gone to normal levels for the first time in a long time. A doctor friend of mine told me to give up skydiving for three months whilst the medication calibrates and regulates my BP. As any adrenaline activity will raise my BP and could cause a blackout.

Does anyone know anything about high blood pressure ( controlled with medication) and risks associated with skydiving?

["You will not be remembered for hat you said you were going to do, but for the things you did"]

Not sure this is applicable, my BP was just climibing slowly, not sky high. Dr. put me on med's, and that was one year ago. Recently I decided to do my first jump, and didn't even think about asking Dr. After my first seven jumps, I had a Dr. appointment, and mentioned my skydiving. Asked him if there was any reason not to jump, since my BP was well controlled. He said it was OK to jump, since it was controlled.

Your situation is different, and I am one who tends to listen to my doc. I would wait until you are stablized...passing out under canopy would be bad.

Just my NERHO.

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

I agree with you, Ithink docs are naturally cautious, and I will listen to them, my feeling is any medication that stabilises my BP must be a good thing and automatically redices any chance of a blackout.

Especially as I have never had one, so I shall wait a couple of months.

In the final analysis, I need to be a responsible jumper for both my self and fellow skydivers so I will listen to the good doctor, and have no doubt I'll be back in the air in next to no time.

My mom just recently went through a lot to get her blood pressure under control. For her it involved a delicate balance of medications and for a while, her blood pressure ended up dangerously low. The adjustment took months. She's not a skydiver, but had trouble with every day things- just lifting a carton of milk was a chore some days. I think it would be a good idea to get your blood pressure under control with the right medication before you resume jumping, just in case.

Hrumph!
Personal trip. I won a freefly Nationals trial event in the midst of a 'heart-attack" Atrial Fib (BS) and HIGH BP.
So, pull back, now. Or, mayhap: Get in shape. Stay in shape. Take Rx. See Dr. Fuck everything else. Very much. (professional dolt. Do not try this).

Thank you,
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

I have been getting fit, losing some weight and on medication for six weeks now. The doc gave me the OK to jump again. Especially as they suspect I may have 'white coat hypertension', which means it shoots up when a doctor takes it.

Either way thanks for all the good advice, much appreciated.