NelKel

Should I jump tandem again?

6 months ago I broke my ankle and fib on a tandem landing, and yes I was riding the Instructor seat on that jump. With about 300 tandems under my belt, a full time job working at a large DZ jumping Sigma's out of Otters, I must say I miss it. I have this longing to return to work as a Tandem Instructor with the desire to learn AFF Instructor. I have about eight years, 850 jumps, I'm a CCD and a graduate of the AIC program. I have invested alot of time and money into this sport. I feel lucky to have had the job at such a great Drop zone. I would like to here from other who have experience returning after such an injury, what it was like, advice, and if I should consider not jumping tandems. I know a person could get killed in this sport, and I know injuries happen, but I must say I never expected to wind up with an injury requiring surgery, a numb foot still even after six months. When I take a step, sometimes it feel like a funnybone the schook that runs throug my foot. My orthipodest says it may take a year to regain 100% feeling in my foot. I can not run yet, it more like a hobble over the broken foot. I know bwcause when walking my dog and she takes off I get pulled behind her sorta stumbling, and hobbling over. Has there benn anyone out there that this has happened to before and how did you handle the situation. I know I will jump again, but should I jump tandems. My buddies that ride motorcross and who have broken femers have pins and plates say yes that the bones will be stronger. I believe tha reason I got hurt was complancy, and my lack of experience. Ther was a 500 tandem jump requirment to jump there, I got on throught the "who you know" at 80 tandems. Thank you for your replys.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

First off, I'm not a tandem-master, but I can safely say that you should take a while longer than normal for your bones to fully heal before you start doing tandems again. They're that much more stressful physically... You're also hauling another body that's more or less equal to your body weight...

Years ago I had a broken arm. I was back to jumping after 2 months, but I could not do floater slots (where I have to hang on a floater bar) for another 3 months. It took that long before I could do a pull-up without pain. I imagine a weight-bearing bone could take longer... just my un-educated opinion...

Good luck with your recovery...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I broke my Tib and Fib just under 2 years ago.

This last summer I have been doing tandems full time with no problems.

I make sure I slide in the majority of landings, protecting my ankle.

I used to wear a support, but now dont jump with it.

It took longer than I thought to be fully healed but it is getting stronger all the time.

It is possible, but just dependant on you, physio and where your "head" is at.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

I wonder what the FAA would say? What about your medical card, do you need to check with anyone on this? <<<<<<<<<

J, FAA medicals to the best of my knowledge depend on your age. Since I'm under 40 my medical is good for three years, After 40 it every two years and oh yeah thats the age they start checking prostrate. :(

The doctor checked my hearing, eyes, blood pressure, urine, ears, heart etc....I am curious though if I were handicapped in some way, lets say crippled would they allow it? The reason is it's a pilot medical to fly a plane. To the best of my knowledge there is not a skydiver medical.
Hope this helps

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan