kosanke

osteoarthritis

just dx'd with moderate osteoarthritis in L2thruL4. grade 1 spondylosthesis(slippage) L2-3 andL3-4. moderate lumbar spondylosis with multilevel disc height loss.osteophytic spurring most notable T12, L1 and L3 levels. been on prednisone 10mg or more for since 1972. low back pain and if more than 2 jumps, i have to take the next day to lay around and regroup. don't want to stop jumping. what are the risks and is anyone out there with the same problem. dx'd 1998 moderate osteoporosis hip areas.

Wow. Sorry that you have to live with all of this. Don't mean to pry, but what is your age and occupation?

I work with people all the time who have chronic, unrelenting pain from what you are describing. What concerns me the most is the spondylolesthesis. This could be, as you already know, something that keeps progressing and can permanently damage your nerve roots at L2-3-4.

I'd seriously talk with your doctor about where you are in the stage of things and how vigorous he advises you to be. Arching can lead to spondylolesthesis progressing.

--edit to add this web page which shows people a good MRI of what we're talking about. Look at the lower vertebral bodies

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article508.html

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

thanks for the reply. i'm 56 and had to retire from flying in 1998. i flew B-747's for many years as captain and had been flying since 1968. i started jumping when i lost my medical. going to see a neurosurgeon on the 5th dec. don't think much can be done to reverse problems, only delay my decision to stop jumping. most non jumpers don't understand what i would be giving up and don't know what loads apply to the body. they think we still use jump boots and t-10 canopies with crashing results. bare feet, shorts and a velocity 120.anyway, my concerns are possible fracture of spine and affects it will have. i fly camera and thinking of putting it off for awhile.i've changed my deployment position to lessen any bad opening it might cause. maybe hop and pops. just wanted to see if anyone has continued to jump and at what point they took up bowling, only with a light ball. thanks and have a happy thanksgiving. Tom

LOTS of back pain myself. degenerative disc disease,fusions osteo. Had to take,still taking time off jumping. was on HEAVY chronic pain med constatly finannly weaned off noe I deal with it and only take painkillers as needed.Flight medic ,i've been off work since Mar.2004 Sorry to hear yours sound worse than me GOD BLESS [:/] BRYAN
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

sorry to hear about that. did surgery help? other therapy? what was the progression? i was just wondering how long i might have. i know that everyone has a different case but, some have had luck with surgery, others haven't. how about hop and pops.

I'm 40 now ,DX was when Iwas 32. Slow progression of DDD what really screwed things up was car acciedent that herniated a disc -had discectomy for that then in 1996 when I started to jump had some hard landings.was on vicodin since 92,add some predisone for flare-up. Also had t/o years ALOT of broken bone ,knees scoped 3 time each various other anti- inflammatories. then the kicker was HARD landig under a spinning Stilleto,low cut-away ened in FX of C2 L3 L4 L5 internal fixation,cemented,an fusion .Placed on Fentanyl OXY_COTIN high dose got hooked. Lots of PT exercise,heatpads Lidoderm patches. Changed to more docile chute careful with body position on deploy slow soft ladings. Alway in pain but hey play hard work is not great for the back Long read PM if ya want more details Bryan:|
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

as my good friend andy dufrain says: get busy living or get busy dying. at least we know that when all else fails, pull out the pd 260 in 5 mph winds with a hop and pop and no front riser turns below 50 feet. it's still flying. thanks for the info. hope your health improves.