blackdog

Tibial plateau fracture

Curious of others with Tibial plateau fractures and the final range of motion returned to the knee. I was pretty flexible before my break and am back to about 120degrees now. Accident was end of June. 10 titanium screws and a titanium plate to hold the pieces together. Just started physio a month ago and have gained 30degrees since. But can't run or hop yet. Any input is appreciated.:)

Any input is appreciated

Have never broke anything like that before so the only info I can give is time and rehab. When my bug busted his leg up he just did the physical therapy a lot and try to be patient with the results. It wont happen overnight. Keep your head up and stay positive even when you have setbacks which he did but just kept his nose to the grind stone and got through it. He is fine now but with the hardware in his leg he can tell me when it's about to rain about 6 hours before the weather man can. Funny how I can find the positive in things.B|
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

sounds like the about the same fx.& fixation I had back in '91 never got full extension or flexation back,but real close.don't remember the exact # but my ext. is about 3 degres from total and flex about 4 inches from being able to touch my heel to my butt.
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I know this is years after the fact, but I was searching for similar issues and found yours. Wondering how your situation turned out.

I broke my T12, fused from T11-L1, and suffered a Schatzker level VI tibial plateau fracture. Haven't jumped since August 2010. I have two plates, 10+ screws, and wire in the leg. Also a bit knock-kneed now.

I have a unique healing story, though, because even though I suffered the worst TPF possible, I have almost full extension and 130 degrees of flexion. I shattered the leg in May 2011, and I still can't run or hop.

Here is mine, stitches came out monday and I am already 90 degrees flexion and 7 degrees extension. No weight bearing for 8 more weeks then I can start walking. With aggressive rehab I expect to be jumping by May, maybe late April. I was lucky it was a clean break, only one piece, and no damage to the femur or knee joint. Definitely a class 1 TPF
Onward and Upward!

Looks like a small group!

Mine was late 99 and I didn't walk with pressure on the leg for 6 months. Bone grafts, blood transfusions, lots of screws and metal and I didn't jump for 2 years. 5 operations, lots of rehab and now mostly back to "normal."

I was told that I might need a new knee 5 years after the accident, but it had been 11 years and no discomfort. Range of motion is just slightly greater than 130 degrees. Light exercise is ok.

DON'T RUN. It's not good for the knee with prior damage. I did a little jogging last year and stopped because I could feel the discomfort.

Swimming and bike riding with low stress seems to be best for me. Keep away from stressing the joint. Lots of cartilage is missing.
Dano

My (now-ex) girlfriend suffered a tibial plateau fracture a little over a year ago on the ski slope. Hers was fairly mild fracture. She recovered full range of motion with hers. She was told she was at a higher risk of developing arthritis in that knee due to cartilage damage. Just one more data point. She ended up making a tandem jump last June, about 5 months or so after her fracture.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Yep, Arthritis is setting in for me now... About 10 years after the fracture. Not just that fracture, but I'm having some problems with inflamatory arthritis, that joint just gets hit harder because it was injured.

I can run some, but prefer to just walk an incline for my cardio.

Just have to watch it. You can't really "push through" the pain. With these old injury flare-ups you have to get it better or you get out of balance and other things start hurting..

Man, mid-40's sucks:P

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Electronic stimulation, stretching, exercise, swimming are all the things you can do to help get back at 100% or close to it. Hot and cold packs work well too.

The tibial plateau repair was from my hanggliding accident. The shattered patellas are from my skiiing accident (since we're sharing.) And, yes, I am accident prone!