ludwigschmude

disabled and picked up jumping ?

Hallo everybody,

I am from Germany and an jumper since 1982. Lately we have come up with the question how many disabled persons have started jumping / tandem or solo. So far mainly we have heard of jumpers who allready been trained up before they had an accident or disease, or people who were taken on tandem. Does anybody got trained and how and is willing to share the knowledge about it ? We are trying to gather info of what to look for and who can be trained up even though been handicaped from start. For example has there ever been a blind first jump candidate ? How did they do it ?

Please excuse my english and thanks for your help

cu, Ludwig

... your mind is like a parachute :

..... it works much better, when it's open ...

For example has there ever been a blind first jump candidate ? How did they do it ?

There's only been one that I know of - Dan Rossi. I believe if you google his name or do a search on here, you will find all the info on him. He tells the greatest stories about his jumps. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There have been other totally blind students (the author of If You Could See What I Hear is one) as well. I've known a couple of legally-blind (but definitely not totally) students, and taught a man with one leg. He didn't keep jumping, but he made 2 or 3 jumps with no problems.

It's harder. Often it ends up being not worth the extra effort to whoever does it. But it's not impossible -- just ask Dan Rossi.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ludwig,
Let me tell you a little bit about my dad, Jay Thompson D9538. He lost his right leg at the hip in Vietnam in 1965 and was thus labeled "100% disabled." Not that this stopped him though. He became a private pilot (limited to tri-cycle gear) and after a harrowing experience with a ruptured fuel line over the Smokies, got the entire family involved in jumping.
Dad made his first civilian jump in 1982 at Keystone Airsports in Florida, under the instruction of Joe Davis, D4887, and eventually earned his D license and PRO rating WITH NO WAIVERS!.:o Thats right...he qualified under the same criteria as everone else and as far as I know, he was the first if not the only one thus far to do so. He also earned the following: Falcon #413, SCS, SCR, and was a member of POPS 1839, and had almost 750 skydives under his belt.
The going was rough at first, as you can imagine. With a total hip disarticulation (no stump), a custom harness had to be fashioned and TSO'd. Naturally his stability was a major hurdle. I can remember many times just sitting around trying to think of what we could do to counter his inherit right turn (more like a spin actually).
Think about it... make a paper cut-out doll to resemble a skydiver and drop it. It will pretty much fall straight down. Now clip off the right leg at the hip, and drop it again. Because his body wasn't symmetrical, he had a spin that was down right dangerous if he let it get out of control. He finally stumbled upon the idea of using something like a rudder to correct it with, and eventually came up with using a modified scuba flipper with leather/velcro straps that he would wear in free fall to enable him to fly. He used it just like a rudder! A bit odd (if not a bit funny) to look at in the air, but it did work. If I can find a decent pic of him in the air, then I'll post it.
For a main, he jumped a 375' Goliath, which he could put down on the target and stand up with only 1 leg. He would ground himself if the winds were to high, but otherwise hung in there and did what he wanted to do.
I'd be happy to share what knowledge I have of his training, but loads of folks took part and they all deserve accolades. I'm sure there's some folks out there who remember my dad, he's kinda hard to miss. He was generally the only jumper with one leg and wearing a flipper...
Sadly, he's no longer with us to share his knowledge but everyone who knew him couldn't help but be inspired. That's not to say they necessarily liked him mind you, but they did respect his accomplishments and character.
Ok...he's my dad and all, but he's still a giant in my eyes. I'll check this forum occasionally and respond with any inquiries anyone may have to the best of my ability as far as his training or experiences go.
Until then, Blue Skies and remember.... Most handicapped folks will surprise you in their abilities and determination to succeed.

Regards,
Mike Thompson
D10834

Hey Ludwig,

I think I fit your description. Way back in 1987, bone cancer was discovered in my right knee, and after 2 operations, they amputated it to rid me of the cancer.

I had always wanted to skydive, and actually joined the Army to go Airborne, but due to the knee problems they stopped that.

About 1 1/2 years ago, a friend gave me a tandem as a gift, and it has been on ever since. I now have 57 jumps, and look forward to getting my new leg to try it out.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have-

Thanks-
Jimmy

There's only been one that I know of - Dan Rossi.

Are we just talking experienced blind jumpers?

If not, I suggest contacting Mile Hi skydiving center in Longmont, Colorado and asking them how many they have done with Tandems. It's become a yearly event, a group of blind students from the school for the blind make it a field trip to the DZ and they all do Tandems. The first year of the event, I was the office manager there, and we had 20 or so lined up that first go around.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

hi there. my name is peter, i live in capetown south africa. i am currently the only fully paraplegic with a skydiving liscence(that i know of) i have done 60 solo jumps and going strong. i would gladly give any advice needed
all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander
are lost!

Hey its Minna here from PST Ontario, Canada.

(Hi Peter :) )

After Peter, there will be me.
(I firmly believe it).

I'm an L2 incomplete SCI (motorcross bike accident)
with no leg use, (either one) yet have some hip flexors
(not enough to move those legs around any place useful)

Wheelchairs is what I need on the ground,
in the air I'm currently strapping on my coach,
and we work on tandem progression towards AFF.
He said my arch was stable enough that he couldn't flip me over in any way after we failed in our back flip after a 5 sec. delay (I just arched, and arched once I couldn't get the back flip, and held it until 6000f -we stopped trying -dove from 10,000f.

7th tandem progression,
I've done enough that we both know I can do this.

Next summer we expect that I'll be flying on my own
off AFF.

Lets see how it all unfolds.
We have high expectations,
and strong will
couple with Angus' skill and wisdom.

Blue skies,
-minna
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

I would ike to call it Adaptive Skydiving as disabled is a put down. I know I was a national team member from '91-'97 in Canada I've also engeneered a way to make para tandems safe again just please check out my site on Adaptive Skydiving

http://www.jagworksdesign.com/html/Para%20Manul%20opening%20page.htm

And any input I can get would be good and if I use it in my manual I will give you creadit where it is
Blue Sky's
Rod Mack D-422
[email protected]