Trae

I DID IT!

This is my first post on DZ.com .
I would like to share an achievement .
20 years ago I was involved in a falling accident (i fell from a first story backwards onto my head) and was left unable to walk. When I tried to get out of the hossy bed I was told by the nurse I had a broken back and that I wouldn't be going anywhere . I also had a head drill heamatoma job.

I had done did my first jump in the early 80's and went on to become a mad keen 4way competitor. I had about 1200 jumps at the time of my accident when I was 21 yo.

1 year after my accident I took my first real step. I had previously been an excellent shuffler...(feet not cards.) 6months later and i could walk at a fair pace. After about 4 years of a different life I went back skydiving.

I didn't tell the new folk about my disability and more or less took up where I left off although there was no way I was the same little imp. I could still fly and blew away the biggest cobwebs... I still had it ..... I couldn't believe it. I felt and feel so lucky ....thank you....

I did my instructor ratings and got my Tandem rating. Then I got a full-time Pro-skydiving job. Next thing you know I'm almost running the place.

Because of my injuries I was & am an especially careful skydiver. I am a bit proud of the fact that none of my tandem passengers (over 800 ) received any injuries.
I was 'THE' master of the PLF and encouraged it's use as THE major injury reduction strategy around.

600 footballer sized passengers (thankfully I sometimes got the small female passengers) ended up taking its toll and I slowed back down after 2 years.

Today I still skydive when I feel like it (I really love wing-suit flying) but there are other more important things going on for me.

If you see me wriggling you'll know it's not me....
its me back.

Love and joy
from Trae.

If you're just starting skydiving ????

and you want to fly wingsuits ????.

There is a lot you can do to get to where you want in as safe and expeditious a manner as possible.

First off there are heaps of people out there to give you first hand personal info on this subject.

Any reasonably large DZ will have some very good wing-suit flyers . Wingsuiting has attracted some of the most experienced skydivers around. My hint would be to avoid the noisy type that expect you to get in line behind them. Most will be glad to show you the way.

In my experience I've found that progression is enhanced by doing blocks of skydives rather than just one here and there. ie save up and do a bunch at a time.... without overdoing it.

I like doing about 3 or 4 a day for about 3 days in a row ...usually mid-week when you can avoid the weekend madness. There's no rush and each flight can be savoured if you don't hurry. Don't let any-one hurry you up. You've got to do this stuff at your own pace.

You're better off learning basic skydiving skills first rather than during your wing-suit flights. This is because most of your bodies movement can cause exaggerated effects when in a wing-suit.

Tracking dives if done with skill development in mind (as opposed to just having a lark which is fun too) & with the good guys/gals can be a very good preparation for wing-suiting and flocking .

Edumacate yourself as much as poss. through the wingsuit sites (here at DZ.com ,at Flybirdman.com or even the official Birdman site.)

Wingsuiting is a whole heap of hot fun. Take it easy and you'll keep loving it for ages. Flying around those cloud canyons is just indescribable.:)

Cheers

Trae

ive been doing alot of research on the subject now, mostly on flybirdman.com. I Will probably able to get up to my 200 or so jumps by the end of next summer. I'm already starting to save. gonna take it ez on beer in college:) wow can't believe i said that:P

This is an inspiring story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I like your outlook on life and on skydiving.

Lately I've been battling second thoughts about continuing skydiving. This is mostly due to hearing and reading about some of the tragic injuries/deaths that occur when skydiving. I've decided to take a break and wait till next spring and if I still have a strong desire to skydive then I while continue with it. Anyways, it was good to read about someone who has had a positive experience from skydiving.

Be safe and have fun.

Thanks for your inspiring story. Back in Aug. '03 while I was still in AFF, I took a tumble down a flight of stairs landing head first on a porcelain tiled floor with a concrete base. I had a compression injury in my brain along with bruising and swelling. Took me a long time to get my speech, balance and short term memory back. Now 27 months later I'm still having some difficulties that I am hoping will iron themselves out. Your post gives me hope that I may someday return to the sky.

Best of health to you,
Chris

Thanks for your kind reply Muenkel,

It must have been extra hard getting injured before finishing AFF.
If you really want to do it and your body lets you you'll be back there in the sky.
One of my most beautiful skydives was a tandem where I was trusted to take a paraplegic passenger.
This guy told me that even if I smashed his legs he wouldn't mind as he wouldn't feel it anyway.
We had to tie his legs up and secure him as well as we could and then just do it.
Under canopy he was in no hurry to get back down unlike a lot of passengers.
We landed in the pit ..not a scratch but lots of cheering from his loved ones.

That is one skydive i'd really love to repeat as often as possible.
Muenkel if you're ever having trouble getting UP SKY let us know and I'm sure we can work something out.

Drag, crawl, shuffle ,walk ,hurry ,run .....& FLY.

Cheers
Trae