Casch

Social Security for Loss of Eye

Can you be compensated for the loss of an eye through Social Security? People are telling me to look into it after my car accident last month where I destroyed my right eye and had it removed entirely. Is it even worth looking into?

Having gone through the loss of one eye myself, it does -not- make you disabled enough to qualify for Social Security. Disability benefit of a finite amount....maybe (worker's comp?), but nothing on-going. See here: http://www.edd.ca.gov/fleclaimdi.htm. I used it to go back to school for a new degree that was not in the high risk catagory that I had trained in previously. That is the only reason I got help. And that was to become self-suffient again, not rely on an income from someone else.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'm an optometrist, most of my patients are visually impaired/legally blind. You won't get anything from social security for a lost eye since it doesn't impair your ability to work at almost any job. Commercial pilot might be about the only thing you'd be limited on.

It will take you a while to adapt, your brain is used to gathering info from two eyes, particularly with depth perception. But there are 10 cues to perceiving depth, only 2 of them require stereopsis (2 eyes working together).

You are lucky to have only lost an eye and not anything more serious!:S

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda