cengelbrecht

Disabled right arm

Hi community,

a good friend of mine was struck in freefall which finally led to the immobility of his right arm subsequently. Due to the damage of his right arm's nerves, he is not able to move/use his arm at all. At the time of the incident, he had around 250 mostly FF skydives and has been very ambitious.

Are there any experiences in the community jumping with this kind of a disability? Any comments on practicability, changing to equipment, precautious means and so forth are highly appreciated. Even if the advice would mean a "NO GO".

Thank you very much for your patience and support
Carsten

Left hand deployment. SOS system for cutaway/reserve. However, can't imagine how he would effectively steer and flare for landing. :^(

Several years ago I saw a guy dislocate a shoulder on opening (during a BASE accuracy contest, no less). He was able to get both toggles in one hand and steer in to land in the circle. I don't know that I'd recommend it as a long term solution, but with a sufficiently docile canopy, it's possible.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom
what about useing line from foot to attach to toogle with like carbiner to use foot to steer?

its a idea i'm toying with to fly my canopy better. going try test jump it this weekend.. I can't fully flare it on hot & zero wind days..
i'm left arm BE amputee and my rig is set up as SOS system too..

Left hand deployment. SOS system for cutaway/reserve. However, can't imagine how he would effectively steer and flare for landing. :^(

Several years ago I saw a guy dislocate a shoulder on opening (during a BASE accuracy contest, no less). He was able to get both toggles in one hand and steer in to land in the circle. I don't know that I'd recommend it as a long term solution, but with a sufficiently docile canopy, it's possible.

Yes, it is possible in emergency situations, however as a plan of attack on -every- skydive I'd discourage it.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

flaring using both toggles in one hand? I did it years ago. On a strato Clould just to see how I could fly / land it should my prothesis arm every come off (never has) It's hard, wears your streghth out.. not as easy as it sounds....but do able yes. with todays fast flying ZP's I wouldn't recommend it except in emergecy.

Hi Lori,

regarding the deployment on left hand side, SOS and a big forgiving main/reserve: OK, so far. But to be honest, I deeply had the hope, that s.o. could give an advice how to steer the canopy with just one hand. This was the most concern I had on talking to my friend about his re-entry to the sport. Do you know someone you could talk to on this issue? It would be of an incredible help ...

Thanks so far and thanks for the support!
Carsten

Do you know someone you could talk to on this issue? It would be of an incredible help ...

The people who I know, Pieces of Eight, all have workable prosthetic arms. They use 2 arms to steer and land their canopy.

I -really- see no safe way to skydive and land as a known habit with one completely unusable arm. To say nothing about how to spread the risers and get out of simple line twists.

Sorry. :^(

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The only option I can reasonably think of would be to jump a canopy that's so big that it can be landed without flaring, or a round.

You still have some problems with the whole "kicking out of line twists" thing, but if you can land without flaring, and if turns are slow enough that doing them one-handed is OK, then it might be possible.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi Wendy,

nice to talk to you on the forum, rememer Ecuador Boogie? We've met there ... :)
By private mail, I received a lot of advice which is going the same direction, I was already considering, but now it has been confirmed: it is possible!

Like for students, with big canopies (main/reserve) it shouldn't be a problem to kick out line twists, steering is possible with rear risers. But the most valuable hint was: For the landing flare, a short lanyard with two carabiners can be used to connect the toggles for the flare. I'll go and try that for my friend on one of our student canopies next weekend.

I'll keep the community informed.

Best regards to everybody, thanks for the support.
Carsten