mdrejhon

Scott Miller versus Brian Germain canopy instruction -- from a deaf skydiver perspective?

I am halfway through saving for my rig. I would like to make sure I do get some really good canopy instruction after I get my own rig.... I hear really good recommendations for courses such as Scott Miller and Brian Germain. Now, there's an interesting twist, since I am hearing impaired and I don't function too well in a classroom setting without help...

Scott Miller: More emphasis on video debriefs

Brian Germain: More emphasis in classroom theory etc.

By this logic, it would seem a Scott Miller canopy course would be far more effective for me as a deaf individual. However, there's also advantages of going the Brian Germain Way: I purchased the book "The Parachute and Its Pilot" by Brian Germain based on many recommendations and that it was also appropriate for new jumpers as well. So soon, the book will arrive and it would be an excellent supplement to any classroom training I may get in the future.

There is also a Brian Germain canopy course coming relatively nearby to Skydive Burnaby (7 hours driving distance) on July 8-10th, but I won't have my own rig by then, so I may have to skip this one since I'd need to rent a car and rent a rig, all big financial drains I'd rather spend towards a rig with the same canopy I'm buying, such as Sabre. (However, if someone from Ottawa is going and can carpool, that could tip the scales in favour of me going....)

So I'm wondering if there are any other deaf guys who has taken a canopy course, whose, at which stage of your skydiving career, and how was it? Any other alternatives to a canopy course, too as well?

Just keep in mind I'd rather that "femur" not be a verb in my vocabulary ;) I don't want to learn swooping yet (maybe only after several hundred jumps if appropriate), just I would like to take the highly recommended novice piloting instruction that is offered by these canopy courses.

(Note: The guys at the dropzone will definitely be a big help as I progress but I'd like to supplement things with these highly recommended canopy courses that so many people recommend.)

Important note: I use cued speech instead of ASL. So the easiest interpretor method would be somebody using a laptop, or having one-on-one training, or primarily video-based debriefing

I wanted take Scott 's course. He'll be here in Texas next weekend at Skydive Dallas,June 24~26 but group classes don't work good for me I'd need an sign language interpiter or one on one class with Scott. I've heard lot of good things about his course, just haven't been able to find out myself...

I wanted take Scott 's course. He'll be here in Texas next weekend at Skydive Dallas,June 24~26 but group classes don't work good for me I'd need an sign language interpiter or one on one class with Scott. I've heard lot of good things about his course, just haven't been able to find out myself...

Any opportunity to take the class two times in a row? Cheaper than an interpretor and may also give you a second chance to catch things on things you missed.

Mdrejhon,
I am not deaf; but, I took Scott Miller's class last year at the Ranch. I think it was a great class. Brian Germain was at our safety and he was a very nice and very patient guy.

I can only comment about Scott's class since it was the only one I took. Scott usually runs several classes. Normaly, Fri, Sat and Sun. I don't think it would be much of a problem to sit in on the classroom portion on multiple days if you paid for a class. Scott seems very into making sure you get the information down. I would contact him at http://freedomofflight.tv/

Brian is a great classroom teacher and a nice guy. I just never took his class so I cannot comment about it. I have heard good things about it though.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Mark

Considering Scott Millar is supposed to be coming to Skydive Gananoque (your listed home dropzone) in August. You may want to looking into that. There are links on the web site detailing this along with links to him directly.

Have you contacted either of these two people (Scott or Brian) with your concerns to see what they have to say?

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Mark

Considering Scott Millar is supposed to be coming to Skydive Gananoque (your listed home dropzone) in August. You may want to looking into that. There are links on the web site detailing this along with links to him directly.

Have you contacted either of these two people (Scott or Brian) with your concerns to see what they have to say?

Fuzzy, sign me up immediately! I'm there!

I was also going to ask you all this weekend about canopy courses. I'll see you this weekend. Scott's website (freedomofflight.tv) doesn't even mention Gananoque so I didn't know about this...

I'll contact him as well through his website about this. And if I can reserve my spot.

[Edit: I see it on Gananoque's website now. Thanks. I have emailed Andrea Greening now.]

SOLD OUT... Damn!

My fault for not knowing this earlier *sigh* .... However, they put me on a waiting list and I'll be prepared to pay on the deadline day if someone misses. ;)

At least I'm hoping to go to Deland in October.... Maybe I'll be able to get it there too. That'd be my backup plan if I didn't catch a nearby canopy course.

The good news is that your instructors will be taking this course and hopefully will be able to communicate their learned skills to you. Albeit maby not 100% as effective as taking the course itself, but just pay attention to how people are approaching their canopy flight before and after the course and ask your instructors lots of questions.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

The good news is that your instructors will be taking this course and hopefully will be able to communicate their learned skills to you. Albeit maby not 100% as effective as taking the course itself

Oh, you're right. That'll be a benefit to me if some of the instructors are taking it! Will help me be more prepared for Deland in October if I go, too.

If I'm not mistaken I think all of the instructors are taking it or have expressed interest in taking it.. I'm not sure who all ended up signing up in time though.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

If I'm not mistaken I think all of the instructors are taking it or have expressed interest in taking it.. I'm not sure who all ended up signing up in time though.

I bet. It seems to be a rare event for an international Scott Miller visit especially right at home, and the dropzone is sponsoring the airfare.

Ah well, I'll stand in line with a waiting list.

I don't do the ASL variant of sign language. I do Cued Speech. However, my usual interpreting method is a laptop. I'm more of a mainstreamed guy, so have rarely ever used interpreting services.

Anyway, the fact that Scott Miller is coming to Gananoque is exciting. Whomever comes to our dropzone does kind of catch my priority. I hope I make it into class (I'm on a waiting list now).