mdrejhon

Deaf guys: Canopy control signalling without radios?

Calling all deafies in this forum, as I am deaf too. I'm starting my PFF training in two weeks. (Essentially the same thing as AFF in the states)

I need to make a final decision about canopy control signalling without radios, for my first solo landings.

I've sorta decided on either flags or paddles, and having a flagman at ground level. I give big thanks Billy Vance for that idea.

Other dropzones, have tried a big cardboard arrow on the ground, but Billy prefer flags/paddles because they can easily be used to signal when to flare.

As a deafie, how did you train your canopy skills during your first solo jumps?
Were there any problems or any unexpected surprises?

___

(I have also posted the below message in another thread)

I have declared my intention to start PFF training at Gananoque on April 30th, assuming good weather.

Most of the logistics are solved.
(1) I found a carpool partner.
(2) The timing of my April 29th paycheque dictates the weekend.
(3) I'll be the only person during classroom training (dedicated tutoring). Thank goodness for small neighbourhood-like dropzones!
(4) I'll be bringing my laptop, so that the instructor and I can type to each other during classroom training
(5) I've been suggesting the use of a flagman for canopy control

The remaining logistics is negotiating the final details between me and my instructor for communications-related issues. Like who's responsible for supplying the flags/paddles for flagman signalling.

I may suggest to the TI that on my 4th and final pre-PFF tandem (during the same day as my first PFF jump), that we test out the flagman signalling, and I would control the toggles without the TI signalling me like he did during my 3rd jump.

Do you think this is a good idea to test the flagman signalling during my 4th tandem, before my first solo landing?
(The TI will still be lightly holding onto them, ready to grab and take over steering if I make any errors)

I need to make a final decision about canopy control signalling without radios, for my first solo landings.

Here's a unique idea. How about getting trained so well on canopy control, that you don't need any external devices.

edited after reading AndyMan's response to read as:

You'll get trained so well on canopy control, that you won't need any external devices.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You're stressing too much.

First, even with hearing people, Everyone gets trained in a way that assumes the radio doesn't work. Doing a jump without a radio in the first place just isn't that big of a deal.

Second, keep up that email conversation with Gan. They're good people there, they know what they're doing. If I remember correctly, they were one of the first DZ's to even come up with the idea of doing AFF in the first place. Even if I'm wrong, I know that they've been at this game a long time. Make sure to ask any question of them that you want to, keep asking them questions until you feel comfortable. As you prepare to do your jump, the most constructive thing you can do is have a good dialog with your instructor.

I've seen a handfull of deaf people do AFF with the instructor using water-noodles as signalling devices. It doesn't really matter what the instructor uses as long as you can see it from a few hundred yards away.

To answer your previous question: If practicing the signalling on your tandem makes you feel better, then do it. I don't think its necesary, though. All A/PFF students get trained to fly the parachute without external input. Flags, radios, or any other tool is only used as backup.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm just being cautious -- it's their first time training a deaf PFF student, as far as I know.

Thanks for the information!

I'll be talking to them again soon. They are extremely busy with their annual reserve repacks. All those parachutes stored during the Canadian winter that needs to be repacked :o. To make things even busier, my TI (Will, the son of Tom McCarthy) just graduated from college. And there's no highspeed Internet way out there at that strip totally surrounded by farmland.

So email correspondence is a bit slow now, I'll give them a call soon, probably later this week, to finallize the timing and what materials I should bring, such as my own flags/paddles.

On my DZ we don't use radio's or other aids. I know some dz's here use a radio or somebody with batons. But if the landing area is not that hard, I don't see why anybody should need that. I managed to land on the DZ and in the right direction for the first 50 jumps or so anyway ;) And i've got the sense of direction of a Dodo.... LOL

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Before you take off . You always check the windsock and the wind arrow point against the winds where you landing against the wind But what if the radio not working for hearing or you lost the flag man on the ground. You may feel the speed of down wind and against the winds . That is why they train you how high flare and PFL in case. You may end up down wind or cross wind or in the woods . It happend to me several time even I am expert. ;) Always precaution for landing . You cant keep your jump suit clean when you landing ha Dust off when you jump again.