mab1218

would you feel safe buying a rig from 1998 ??

mab1218

Hello
I'm looking into buying my first rig but I'm on a tight budget so what I can afford seems to be older rigs .....
So my question is would you feel safe jumping with a rig manufactured in the 90's ???

a world of difference between stuff made in the 90's.
1991 - not freefly friendly, most likely F111 main
1998 - most likely freefly friendly, most likely a ZP main

Give more details. Also please don't assume that EVERYTHING was made in 1998 - each component can have a drastically different DOM.

I know many people with Harness/Container systems DOM late nineties.
My main DOM is 1998 and I just had it relined.
The best thing for you to do is research and then absolutely insist that any potential seller ship the item to your trusted rigger for a complete inspection prior to sale. Then take that advice and talk to someone who knows how much all that gear SHOULD be worth, then start negotiating. You'll have more wiggle room with price, generally, with older systems as opposed to newer ones.

Depends on the rig. Depends on what it does or doesn't have. Depends on what condition it's in.

Presuming manufactured by a firm still in business (say a Vector, Javelin, Wings, ect), presuming RSL & AAD equipped, presuming good, airworthy condition.

Then absolutely.

Note: Some people don't consider an RSL or AAD absolutely necessary. While I would jump without if I had to, I wouldn't buy a rig that wasn't set up for them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As above it depends. All used gear needs to be inspected and evaluated by an experienced rigger. By that I mean a 10 day wonder from last year may or may not have the knowledge to evaluate gear that may have been made when they were 5 years old.

The only things I own newer than 1997 are two AAD's and one helmet.:) That's out of four 'modern' airworthy rigs that I jump. I just serviced and deemed airworthy a rig with 1988 reserve, 1994 harness, 2002 main and a 2008 AAD.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I currently have 4 containers/reserves and 5 mains. My favorite rig of them all was made in '97 with a 92 PD reserve. The main was made in 2008.

Not a whole lot of difference in rigs made in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I also have a very comfortable rig made in the early 90s but I rebuilt it with magnetic riser covers, new tuck tabs, new boc, etc. it also has new risers, new PC, etc. So older rigs can be updated.

Talk to your rigger. hopefully an old guy.
Onward and Upward!

mab1218

Hello
I'm looking into buying my first rig but I'm on a tight budget so what I can afford seems to be older rigs .....
So my question is would you feel safe jumping with a rig manufactured in the 90's ???

Depends on the how well the owner took care of their kit. Some owners respect their gear like a new car.:)
Some owners don't give a shit, because they know their going to upgrade, every few years. They leave them in the sun unpacked, etc etc. B|

The winter season is starting lurk the ads their should lots of used gear coming up for sale.

HAVE a trusted qualified rigger inspect the gear. Have them tell you the remaining life on the aad.

Good luck
One Jump Wonder