skyllama29

Robert's syndrome wants to skydive solo!!!!

The University of Connecticut Skydiving club has a member with Robert's syndrome. He has no arms past the elbow and artificial legs. He can drive, catch, throw and even write better then me! I was wondering if there was any way to design a rig custom for him to operate. Even if we were to come up with a design, how would we go about getting something like that approved? I know chances of this happening are slim to none, but if it's possible in any way, there is a large group of people ready to work hard to achieve it. Also is it possible for him to participate in tunnel time? If anyone has any information regarding this unique situation, please let me know.

Hi!
Just to make sure I got it right: he would need a main deployment handle which he can reach - boc is to far away. cutaway und reserve should be ok to reach, and he should be able to pull the handles far enough to activate the cutaway and reserve. I have already seen a gear with a spring load ripcord on the front of the gear below the cutaway, this is no problem for the manufacturer and no need for special approve.
The second and IMO larger problem is to make him reach the steering toggles. as soon as he got them he should be ok steering them and brake the canopy far enough for a nice landing.
As you describe this guy's disability he can not drop out of a "normal" gear. Is this correct?

Was he jumping yet? Tandem?

Please correct me if I misunderstood anything in you post.

He has already made his first Tandem skydive and is very eager to continue on if it's at all possible.

That is great that there is something out there like that!!! No he will not fall out of the harness, but I think that if he had artificial arms, then he would be able to reach everything just fine. the only thing is he would have to be able to see it, because he won't be able to feel for anything. Do you have any suggestions?

so if he could use artifical arms just put him in a hanger (sorry, don't know if this is the correct word - I'm talking about this thing where you train your EPs) and check out how he is doing which steering and flaring and of course the EP.

With a main deployment ripcord on the front of the body he can see whatever he needs to see, so it's not that much of a problem. I would recommend a spring loaded deployment even after student status, because he only needs to pull it out and not through it away. Of course a very docile canopy is important, RSL and AAD are a MUST to me.
Another quetion you should consider: do you have Instrutors who are willed and good enough to teachhim skydiving? I have been to Eloy a few times and there are a few jumpers who are both side leg amputated above the knees. So I guess, they could help you.

So I would check out on ground training with him, get Instructors and then contact relative workshop for special gear modification (they are the biggest manufacturer, experienced in student and tandem rigs, tecnically they are very experienced, so I would recommend to contact them first)
hopefully I can help you a little bit, but of course it's not so easy without knowing your friend.