BillyVance

Webcam/videophone for Deafies?

Hey, do any of you deafies out there have a webcam or videophone that you use with MSN Messenger or something?

I just got myself set up with a webcam that works with either MSN Messenger (internet) or Sorenson (telephone)... just tried it for the first time today successfully with a deaf friend and we were signing back and forth.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh no! John with a webcam:o Glad I don't have one, or else he would be doing all kinds of dances for me in front of the cam:ph34r: It would be okay if he had his glowing gloves on:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have a webcam but have never used it. I never thought about using it like that. Is the video stream smooth enough to use for ASL or is it jumpy?

Depends on your internet connection speed. You need at least Broadband or DSL with 256kbps or faster speed, or cable... I have a 1Mbps DSL modem... works great for me. In a conversation with John, my video was pretty smooth, but John with 256kbps speed was somewhat blurry and jumpy, but still smooth enough to understand his ASL. Let me know what you got, and see if it's fast enough. If yes, let's get it on in MSN Messenger! B|

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Damn, what was I thinking giving you a great idea:S Mike, please no glow in the dark condoms.

Yeah, (slaps your head)... Now they'll be posting snapshots off the webcam on here! :S:D

I do have webcam at home and would like to have VRS but I dont like because it would take some spaces in my room..I hope in near future, any computer monitor would have built-in A/V instead of TV itself.

Just slap a cheapie $50 TV card into the computer, and connect your Sorenson VRS to your computer, and use your computer as a TV monitor! Works with all computer monitors.

Just slap a cheapie $50 TV card into the computer, and connect your Sorenson VRS to your computer, and use your computer as a TV monitor! Works with all computer monitors.

I assume that my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon video-card makes this possible? I haven't tried hooking up the cable to the computer yet, but the software is already in place to make watching TV on the computer a reality.

Yep. It should be possible. The ATI All-In-Wonder have the necessary connector for Sorenson, assuming you use the adaptor that came with the ATI All-In-Wonder (the yellow cable adaptor).

Some models of All-In-Wonder has the yellow jack directly on the card itself, but usually I've seen it on an adaptor.

In the event you need audio, connect it to the line-in of your sound card, or wherever the ATI All-In-Wonder instructions tell you to input the sound. (You may need a RadioShack adaptor). But most deafies doing sign language don't care about the sound, so you do not need to bother with sound on Sorenson.

Last week I used my laptop to connect my VRS wirelessly with a webcam. It works greatly. I wont have to stay in one room. It is perfect for traveling.

This only works if you find a VRS that is computer-based, not with the Sorenson service (to the best of my knowledge).

However, wireless WiFi VRS is way cool! I don't use video much, since I use a different language than ASL, but I know that for the smart deaf geeks, it is a kick to be wirelessly signing in front of a laptop camera. "Look Ma, No Wires"!

I mainly use a product I developed for myself at www.MiniTTY.com. I use this to call the relay services via my BlackBerry, via my PocketPC, and via my WiFi equipped laptop.

Last week I used my laptop to connect my VRS wirelessly with a webcam. It works greatly. I wont have to stay in one room. It is perfect for traveling.

OH MY:o Don't walk into the bathroom with it or walk around naked:ph34r:

BTW, you big baby, you missed me at CSS for Easter. The plan was to get you drunk.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hey, You can call me at VP and ask me any ??? I was deaf jumpmaster. You can find me in Sports list. Deaf Skydiver, B| Fred

Yo Fred!!! It's about time you got your ass on DropZone.com!! B| Welcome to the forums! :)