jimtalon

New Member introduction

Hello All,

I have just joined this forum, and I know nothing about skydiving, so should my questions appear nonsensical or frivolous please indulge me until I can get my proverbial feet in the air.

By way of preface, I am a bilateral below-the-knee amputee, acquired during combat in Vietnam, and I
am retired from the military for the abovementioned reason.

As I mentioned previously, I know virtually nothing about skydiving or parachuting. My current hobbies are camping, hiking, climbing, spelunking, SCUBA, orienteering, and computer programming.

I wish to learn how to skydive so that I can jump into a relatively unknown area, from a terrain perspective,
(lose myself, if you will) and work myself out through map and compass and GPS.

The problem that I envision with this goal and my particular "disability" is the prospective impact forces that I might expect upon landing after a successful
jump; in other words, would the impact be such that my prostheses would fail or skeletal structure would be damaged? Pursuant to this, is there a quick and "dirty" way that I can experience a similar impact force in vitro, say, for instance, from jumping off of a step or porch or whatever?

Finally, if this even proves to be a viable option, the only equipment that I have seen that would be suitable for someone such as myself is the military set-10. Again, I stress my ignorance on this subject so if anyone could offer any comments or advice or suggestions, I would be grateful-- regardless of the positive or negative character of such advice.

Thanking you for your indulgence and assistance, in closing, I am

Respectfully,

Jim Talon

Hi Jim,

You're in luck! There's a loose group called "Pieces of Eight", which are composed of amputee skydivers. One of my friends, mx757, is a left arm amputee from a motorcycle accident before he started skydiving. There are all kinds of amputees in this sport. I've even seen one that had both legs amputated. Only thing is, there are not too many of these amputees around. Best guess is there are about 20 - 25 amputee skydivers out there. I'll alert mx757 and he'll give you more info...

Thanks and blue skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I wish to learn how to skydive so that I can jump into a relatively unknown area, from a terrain perspective,

so if anyone could offer any comments or advice or suggestions, I would be grateful-- regardless of the positive or negative character of such advice.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I wish to learn how to skydive

Let's start here. The rest will not happen for some time. There are so many issues involved with what you want to do, that it would not make any sense to try to figure it all out now.

I would start by filling out your profile so we can see what part of the world you're in. Then people can advise you on a good local dropzone where you can get the training of your choice.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Jim
you should have been in Perris California the 3rd weekend of October. There were 17 of us amputee skydivers getting together for fun jumps. modern parachutes come down so softly its like jumping off a curb. so you won't have to worry about your prosthesics limbs. you would however have to get quite few jumps in to be able to jump alone.. and jumping like your talking about.. jumping in.. hiking out, well as someone said that'd be quit a hike with parachute etc too.. and you should jump with a buddy. What you going do if you get hurt landing?? I broke my wrist in 2002 after landing a stand up landing I took one step stepped into a snake hole and put my hand out to stop my fall.. broke damn wrist instead! if you want to learn to skydive.. it's doable.

see these links:
http://www.skyxtreme.com/archive/october2000/index_eng.html

mike

Mike, thank you for your input, and by the same token, I extend my thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to my request for assistance.

All but the skydiving (and the ubiquitous possibility of unplanned injury) are known factors; for a five day survival outing my ALICE weighs about 63 pounds, give or take, but I have no idea how much parachuting gear weighs. As you noted, this in-and-of-itself is not an insurmountable problem, and from your comment about the ease of landing with modern parachutes leads me to believe that the remainder is also doable.

I am located in the Gilmer, Texas area of northeast Texas, and I do not know of any jump schools in this area; however, I confess that I have not yet searched diligently for same either--- I first wanted to know
whether the prospective impact forces foreclosed such a tentative option as I had been entertaining.

Again, my most heartfelt thanks to everyone for responding.

Jim
[email protected]

Welcome, Jim!

As stated before in a previous post, the group of amputees, named "Pieces of Eight", are indeed a skydiving family of friends. HERE is a little history on them and how they got started.

For some in-air pics, here are some that I took in 2001.

http://www.lightdiver.com/2001/011118.htm/

And again in 2004:

http://www.lightdiver.com/2004/041024.htm/

Blue Skies. Keep in touch!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

>I wish to learn how to skydive so that I can jump into a relatively unknown area, from a terrain perspective,

I'm going to hit just this piece. In almost all National parks its illegal to parachute. In order to make a skydive at a non designated dropzone you must file a form with the FAA notifing them of your intent to jump at a certian time so that they can alert other airplanes that there is objects in freefall over an area so they can stay away from them. Part of this form indicates weither you have land owner permission to land where you want to. Getting this sign off for a National Park will not happen. BLM lands allow you to some times Parachute in them (typically BASE jumping off their cliffs), but its up to the local manager for that. The FAA also require you so show profeciency at accurate landings before they will grant permission. Usually this is shown by having a PRO rating. This involves landing with in a small circle standing up 10 times in a row. Its really hard to do, and minimum jumps allowed to apply for it are 500.

Typical sport skydiving gear weighs about 25-30 pounds and is only a little smaller then the 3500ci weekend backpack that I use. Typical gear is about $2000 used and its all nylon so it won't break down. Its not an item you can just leave behind if you practice LNT ethics. Plus you'd have to have cash to burn to just toss $2000 into the woods.

It can be done... but its not as easy as just learning to jump then going and jumping into Yellowstone. ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well I am new to the sport and also a below the knee amputee. I dont think you will have a problem with proper training. I have had no real issues because of my prosthesis. I did my first solo last weekend!! Two tandems, seven level jumps and two solos under my belt! I'll be glad to help with any concerns if I can.

Mike Rinehart

Mike
right now, nothing much planned. We just got tother recently in Perris CA 17 of us. I don't think the group is getting together again for at least a year or so.. generally we get together about every two years or so.. PM and i'll send you list.

Mike