Genego

Tib/Fib Fracture

Got hit on my Police Harley, sustained a left leg mid shaft Tib/Fib. Have a TI "nail" inside the fib secured with 4 screws. Accident was on May 7th. It's now 5 months later, I've been released to duty. Running is still a bit painful, but the doctor says the bone is healed.
Is there anyone who is jumping with an internally fixed leg like this? How about opinions as to having the "nail" taken out of the bone in about a year? Any help would be appreciated.
benny
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

is this a workcomp injury?
is so check out electrick bone stimulator
I was cop that suffered on job amputation of right arm,re-attached but long to heal.saw tv show about this device ,told my ortho.doc ,he ordered it and it really works.
pm me if you want additional info. it is expensive.
59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

I broke all 4 corners of my ankle and dislocated it from my foot. I had a plate with 5 screws in fib (1 inch of bone broken and replaced with graph from tib) along with 2 huge screws in front of ankle and pin in tib. I had them all removed 1 1/2 year later and have had no problems since.

I am not a doctor and this was my own personal choice, but it might help to talk to a skydiving athletic surgeon for your own piece of mind.

My surgeon said I would never jump again but he is a whofo. I've made 1500 jumps since.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I shattered the end of my tibia and broke a chunk out of my fibula. The plate and screws on both are still there. Except for one screw I BROKE some how and started backing out under the skin. I hobble, limp, sob in pain in bed, use a cane 20% of the time. Can't run, pay for talking a walk, but have 1800 skydives since then (1987). Too chicken to have it fused solid.

If you can take the run out of a landing join the rest of the "metal" crowd. There's some on every DZ.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

HI YA
I THINK YOUR QUOTE SUMS UP HOW I FEEL - ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN MISS OUT ON, NICELY SAID.
I WOULD LIKE IT IF YOU COULD ANSWER MY QUESTIONS? I AM DYING TO START SKYDIVING, I KNOW ITS THE SPORT FOR ME!
MY ONLY PROBLEM IS LIKE YOU I HAVE AN ANKLE PROBLEM AND LEG PROBLEM. AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT I BROKE BOTH LEGS WHICH ARE NOW FINE- I HAD TO GROW 9CM OF BONE USING A FRAME AND HAVE A GRAFT DONE!! I ALSO HAD A V.SERIOUS ANKLE BREAK WHICH HAS BEEN SCREWED- NOW IT IS LEFT WITH LITTLE MOVEMENT. I CAN TAKE IMPACT THROUGH THE ANKLE AND JOG. I WANT TO KNOW ON AVERAGE ARE THE LANDINGS REALLY HARD AND FAST. I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD TELL ME AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
PLEASE E.MAIL ME [email protected] OR REPLY ON THIS, MANY THANKS

ADAM_ASHWORTH,

Hell you already know that you can come back from a serious leg injury, go for it.

Rt ankle compound w/ 5 pins and 2 plates removed after a year or so (18 yrs ago); I agree w/ councilman :-(
Rt tib fib 2 plates 9 screws removed after a 1 or so (11 yrs ago)
Lt tib fib spiral fracture (this once was non-jumping related) w/ 2 plates and 11 pins. Still in and the most comfortable of the bunch (but I better not break it again).

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

I broke both legs (tib/fib) in JUL 04 and just this weekend made my recurrency jump. I have had pain and it still hurts to do certain things, like running on pavement. Just stick with your physical therapy program. I have had the same thoughts of having the nails removed. The only down side I have heard is that after the hardware is taken out and the bone reheals you have a greater chance of brittle bones and the possibility of another breakage

May 13th 2004, shattered my fib badly and bust my tib badly and had a major dislocation of my ankle.

I had a bone graft and 3 large pins and a "long and thick" plate with 12 screws put in over 3 surgeries.

I have recently returned to jumping (BASE) after 11 months out. (my god it was great!)

My surgeon advises me that its not worth taking the hardware out for jumping (but then again he advised me not to jump for ANOTHER year), and I have many many friends all jumping with hardware in various parts of their body (most common is the tib and fib of course).

Although I limp and ache alot after jumping (I actually limp and ache most of the time anyway), I am happy jumping with this hardware inside me. I have got some long term problems with my ankle due to the major dislocation, but as long as you are sensible, I dont see any reason why you cant continue with jumping with such problems (there are people out there with more severe metal work and bodily damage jumping all the time - respect)

Now back to jumping, I strap my ankle and leg up really well (maybe too well) and PLF when I feel I am coming into land a bit faster than I feel comfortable with - it dont look cool but makes me feel a lot better! ;) - coming home covered in mud though makes my GF think i had a bad landing when in fact I had a good one!!! :P

I spiral fractured my right fibula and shifted my foot over, ripping the tendon (or is it a ligament?) attaching the foot to the base of the tibia. This was on static line #1 for me. After a plate and nine screws, and 6 months off jumping I was back in the air April 2004. I bought a carbon fiber ankle brace and have had no problems since. The website is

http://allsportdynamics.com/allsportdynamics.htm

I also did my own rehab on a balance board to get the range of motion back. It was about $30 and well worth every penny. Their website is

http://fitterfirst.com/

Hope this helps.

Jane

PMS #394

I have had an intermedial nail to fix my femur. the incident happend Sept 5 2004, I was back jumping in December of 2004, lots of work, little pain. Just kept riding a stationary bicycle to strengthen the leg. It's eight months later and I still have a hell of time running. I had most of my success doing a little bit at a time and purchasing a Falcon 265 for a .8 to 1 wing loading. The main thing is to not be lazy.

broke tib/fib january 25 2004. plate, 8 pins, 2 screws. started jumping 4 months later. doc says he could remove the hardware, but i wouldn't be able to jump for 3 months (apparently the holes have to fill in with bone). guess i'm keeping it. no problems but i can tell you when the weather is changing 48 hours in advance.

I'm still in pain about 3 days a week. My accident was a bit over a year ago. I have 5 screws and 1 plate in my ankle. It hurts to run and sometimes even to walk. I do butt slide landings cause my ankle really doesn't have the strength in it to stand up landings right now.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I know this is a question on a very old community message, but I got in a horse and carriage accident 5 months ago today and fractured most of the bones in my feet, and ankles and broke off the tips of the tibia and fibula in both of my feet, lucky for me the bones did not separate, but I know I will need surgery within the year.

I want to start jumping again as soon as the weather and budget will allow.

Will this ever be possible

SkyMommasan as well

I am also trying to get both of my daughters off of the ground too, I gave birth to two adrenalin Junkies like my self

I will be waiting for your commentsB|

I'm just recovering from a fibula fracture 4 months ago. I did two butt slide landings a month ago, but last week I had surgery to pull the hardware out. For me, the doc thought it was a good idea to take out the thick plate and 6 screws (one long into the tibia/ankle) so it wouldn't bother me in the future.

JustTtheTruth, that sounds like more of a question for your doctor. Make sure you are cleared for high-impact activities. I don't know how much skydiving experience you have, but most of us can have a hard landing sometimes. If you need surgery, you should probably wait on the jumping. The sky will be there when your bones are healed.