ACMESkydiver

Know anyone with Austism/Asperger's that has been in a windtunnel?

We have 3 kids...8 yo daughter, & twin 7 yo sons with Autism. I doubt my boys will ever be able to skydive (they are severely Autistic and a danger to themselves in normal, everyday environments...:() -But I just was trying to evaluate the feasibility of ever trying them in a windtunnel? Our daughter wants to do it all, and she's typical-developing, so I don't see a problem. But Autism has such different sensory input challenges...I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone with Autism or Asperger's(which is similar) trying to fly in a tunnel?

Maybe someday our boys can feel some of what we do. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You don't know until you try, but with the sensory issues with Autism, it may not be a great idea. You could always try things like horseback riding, etc first to see how they do with lots of sensory input and go from there. I have an Asperger's patient that nothing worked for until I suggested horseback riding to her parents. It was incredible to see this girl just come alive on a horse.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You don't know until you try, but with the sensory issues with Autism, it may not be a great idea. You could always try things like horseback riding, etc first to see how they do with lots of sensory input and go from there. I have an Asperger's patient that nothing worked for until I suggested horseback riding to her parents. It was incredible to see this girl just come alive on a horse.

One of our boys loves riding, the other one just likes to rub his hands on the horse's side (it was a fuzzy shetland) :)
Maybe someday.
~Jaye

Maybe see how they do just standing in front of those really big industrial type fans. That way they have the wind and noise without the safety considerations of hitting something in a wind tunnel. Let them watch others in a wind tunnel and see how they respond. Taking little steps toward the goal will get you there (but you already know that since your boys are 7 now:)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You know your boys better than i do, but i doubt the windtunnel would be good for them. The social service agency i work for has numerous people with autism. The force of the wind and the loudness of it will prolly not be enjoyable to children with autism. I know it's not quite the same but have they ever been on a trampoline? We've found that some of our autistic clients just love the trampoline. I know you wanna share your passion of body flight with your boys, and you'll find some way to do it. Good luck Jaye. You are truly special for caring so much for your boys.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yep, we have a 14' trampoline in our back yard...a 'king size' trampoline in their bedroom (:P), and a mini trampoline downstairs. Up and down and forward/back motion is very calming to them.

And yeah, I kinda doubt the wind tunnel will ever come to pass for them...but maybe one of those harness dealies that go on the big trampolines could get them some more hang time in the air. I think they would LOVE that! :)
Thanks for your encouragement. It helps to know someone in the business of working with special kids feels that we're trying our best for our kids. :)
~Jaye

I think it might be worth a try. I have some sensory problems and would never jump out of an airplane, but I loved the wind tunnel. The proprioceptive input is like nothing else, though I certainly would try an indoor one rather than an outdoor one for frame of reference. I'm not sure how you would set it up so if the boys panicked they could easily back out. You might be able to get an occupational therapist from the area to go with you. I would be sure and talk to the owners and give them a heads up!

Check out Dr. Temple Grandin if you don't already know of her. She is an autisic adult who built a "body masher" for herself and has gone on to do some really great things. Here is one article about her.

http://www.grandin.com/inc/visual.thinking.html

We take care of a boy during the week days and he is autistic/high functioning.
He is GREAT at video games but, every time he turns off the PS2, he REALLY gets upset, covers his ears and shouts, due to the white noise off the TV.
All children are different but, as you know, the loud noise may be the factor.[:/]
:)Best wishes on your effort:)

If you want to try the windtunnel with your boys, I would recommend you to make sure you can leave the tunnel immediately, if they panic. I only know the Skyventure Orlando Tunnel and there you are usually in there for 30 minutes (not really flying, but in the chamber). So you should either choose a tunnel, with you can leave anyway or talk to the instructors, so in case they shut down for a minute to let you out.
I'm not an expert, but just an idea you might think about.
I wish you and your family the very best!

PS I'm nutrition scientist and I have heard about effencts of certain food on autism. I'm pretty sure you are very good informed about autism, but if you need more information, send me a PM.

One of the new open-air wind tunnels might be even better. There was an article in either Parachutist or Skydiving about one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One of the new open-air wind tunnels might be even better. There was an article in either Parachutist or Skydiving about one.

Wendy W.

Yes, those open air eones are the ones they use at fairs and attractions, I believe.

After thinking about it more, the boys probably would not do well in such a loud environment. And I think it would be hell tryingt o get earplugs in them anyhoo. :S
~Jaye

The L1 Tunnel in NC is said to be many times quieter then other tunnels. Plus its outdoors and its a big bouncy net all the way around it they could play on possibly. You might even be able to use ear muffs with a tunnel like that since there is minimal danger of projectiles hitting the fans.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The L1 Tunnel in NC is said to be many times quieter then other tunnels. Plus its outdoors and its a big bouncy net all the way around it they could play on possibly. You might even be able to use ear muffs with a tunnel like that since there is minimal danger of projectiles hitting the fans.

That's a good idea, if we ever plan a trip out that way we'll have to give it a shot. :)
Doubt the earmuffs would work the boys have a phobia of things on their ears, but we can always give it a try.
~Jaye

We had a guy in his 20's fly at SVO that has Autism. the other instructor never let go of him. he flew him the whole time. he seemed to do well with the noise, etc.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I would suggest calling the various tunnels and seeing their policy or safety concerns. Be honest and I know at SVO if they can fly them they will, but they are not going to put anyone esp. a child, in harms way.

I'm sorry I don't have anymore info to offer past that. I would really give the tunnels a call to see their individual policies.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I'm crossing my fingers for you!!! I know I absolutely love taking kids in the tunnel, I can't imagine what it would be like taking your own. I'll light my good luck candle tonight just to be safe :):)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I work with adults that have Autism. I have worked with children in the past. My ideas for you are that everyone is different. Your one son may love the tunnel while the other son may absolutely hate it. I think that before you ever think about putting them in the tunnel you should take them there first so they can see what you are talking about in the first place. You may want to try taking them several times so they can get used to what this place is and venture on at there speed. If they have a good reaction from seeing it then I'd start talking to them about maybe trying it and see how they react to the idea. If you take both your boys I'd take 2 people that the boys trust with you so that if one doesn't like it and the other does it doesn't ruin the experience for the one that does like it.

I don't believe in can't. I believe that there may have to be some adaptations but everything is possible if THEY want it.

Good Luck!
PS if you think the sensory stimulation may be too much you won't know until you try. Have they ever driven with the windows down? How did they react to the wind in there face?