amitchel

Replacing Student Gear... What Container to go with???

Hey all... I'm from Skydive K-state..... we're going to be buying probably 7 new rigs to replace our current student containers. I was wanting some insight on some experiences you've had recently with different new student containers.... How do they function/ perform: From a rigging perspective? from a one size fits several standpoint? Do they stand the test of time? Customer service with the manufacturer? etc?

We do SL and no AFF

Currently we have Wings containers which I actually do like (not sure if it's cause it's all i've known mostly for student gear) My only concern with the wings containers, from a rigging standpoint, is how the reserve flaps are cut in such a way that prevents the reserve tray to really open up and allow an easy extraction of the freebag from the tray. I've watched 2 students have slow mals and its a really crappy feeling watching a first time student literally go back into freefall for 8-10 seconds after cutting away from slow mal. Reserve P-Chute deploys right away, but the jumper has to reach a speed high enough to actually extract the bag. (reserve boost would take care of this, I know)

Student Icon? - I don't love stowing the lines of the reserve in the Icon Free-bag, but besides that,... i've got no beef with Icon... Any experiences to share?

Mirage RTS... I've used them a little,... i like them..... I've never packed a reserve for an RTS. Experiences?

I have zero experience with the Vector SE.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

We have a few vector SEs and our DZ is also sigma tandems so there are a few advantages with respect to ordering parts. We also have some Javelin rigs equipped with skyhooks. I can put parts orders in together as well as stock reserve pilot chutes and a collection of sigma and student freebags then assemble them if needed.

First, I believe MARD systems are a good thing for student operations. The Skyhook system is well tested and if you ever end up in a legal situation there is some strength in saying it's the best tested, oldest and most used system on the market.

Finally, for me personally, I like the Javelin but not all riggers are good at or comfortable packing them. It is also nice that they all use the same freebag stow so despite it being a manufacturer only part I only have to stock one size. So make sure whatever rigs you choose are something the riggers will be able to live with.

Hope that helps

-Michael

Disclaimer - I used to work for Jump Shack. The Student Racer has a really good and safe harness adjustment (pulley system) and the reserve extraction is second to none. There are some issues with a two sided rsl but by hooking both shackles to one riser you have a single sided so that can be easily overcome. Some riggers don't like Racers, I love them Just my $0.02

The Mirage RTS reserve packs just like a G3 and has that same super strong pilot chute spring. The trap system is IMO the easiest MARD to pack that I have seen (all of the MARD's on the market should be no problem for a competent rigger to pack).

I personally think that whatever brand of student gear is used that it should be setup like a sport rig as much as possible so they don't learn one thing as a student and then have to learn something different when they get their own gear.

Blue Skies,
Bill Hubbell

dpreguy

Easy pack??

For a rigger that has taken the time to reach out to a manufacturer and get the tips about packing, bulk distribution, and closing. Any rig is easy to pack.

Disclaimer: I currently work for Parachute Labs ;)

Any rigger worth their salt will understand and seek help if needed before packing any rig. I pack probably 65-70% Racers and do cuss occasionally when I have to pull out my positive leverage closing device for other rigs, but that's normally because of overstuffing a container more than a "hard close." Each rig has its challenges and once you understand them all every rig can be an easy pack.

To the OP, PM sent.
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws