TomAiello

More Para BASE

Russel Metlitsky made his first BASE freefalls this weekend. Using an exit point we can only describe as "the contraption" (essentially a trapeze bar hanging out past the edge of a bridge), Russel, who is a high level paraplegic, was able to make a solo BASE jump and take a two second delay. Russel pretty much did the whole thing himself. Once he was over the rail on the platform, we just stepped back and let him do the rest.

His performance was fantastic. This was his 8th (I think?) BASE jump, and he did better than most of the BASE students I've seen at 8 jumps.

I've been involved in a lot of BASE jumps. This was by far the coolest, most inspirational, thing I've seen.

I'll try to get some video up later today, and I'm sure Russel will have some photos and video on his web site some time.

Wow. Freakin' amazing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sometimes when I'm feeling low I wonder about quitting when I get too old or broken up. Reading these posts make me realize I can almost go on as long as I want. It's up to me. Might have to get rid of the Harley at some point, but I can still jump. This forum sure puts out powerful, positive vibes. This one especially Tom.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.