EricTheRed

This man made me smile...

I had the pleasure to jump with "Blind John" this weekend. The look on his face on the ride to altitude said everything.
Even better was the look on his face after launching a beautiful 3-way base for a planned 12 way.

There have been few times indeed that I have seen so much joy on a man's face.
illegible usually

I had the pleasure to jump with "Blind John" this weekend. The look on his face on the ride to altitude said everything.
Even better was the look on his face after launching a beautiful 3-way base for a planned 12 way.

I made a few jumps last November with Blind John @ Perris. The smile on his face in free-fall was priceless. What a great experience to share.:)
---------------------------------------------

Randy

I made a few jumps last November with Blind John @ Perris. The smile on his face in free-fall was priceless. What a great experience to share.:)

John spoke with me last weekend and he's thinking about conducting another feature formation dive and fund raiser later this year or beginning of next year. Still in the planning stages.

The last event was such a success we want to do it again! :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Is he legally blind? How much can he see? I know I'm being completely ignorant here, but how does he read his alti or land? Does he use audibles then? Radio assist on landing?

Honest I'm just curious...I didn't think people that were legally blind would be able to do anything but tandem...how does he do it?
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Legally blind and blind are different. Legal blindness could read a large altimeter, pull, possibly navigate a canopy, possibly need radio for flare time, all depending on the amount/type of legal blindness. If due to visual field loss (glaucoma, RP) visual acuity can be very good for canopy maneuvering and reading altimeters, problem would be awareness of other people around him, so others on the load would have to know about it to stay out of his range for safety reasons.

Dan Rossi and this other guy are both totally blind and use radios. I've talked with Dan a few times via email, seems like an extremely interesting person.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda