Sped

Seizure disorders?

Yep, me. Just starting in skydiving, all of 2 jumps (one tandem, one AFF) so far, but can't wait for that number to increase. Had a seizure disorder for a couple years, either from head injury (had many of them, some severe, sure explains a lot....) or a small brain tumor that I've had cooking in there for a couple years. Hasn't changed.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Have you fully discused this with your instructors and your doctor? I'd recommend also consulting a flight doctor that is a little more versed in the effects of high altitude on the body. Anything that can cause you to lose control of your body is not good as you are hurling at the ground at 120 mph.

I worked closely with a youth that was seizure prone for years, he expressed interest n skydiving to me a while back. His doctor felt that the stresses placed on his body during skydiving increased his probility of seizures. It was eventually decided that tandems would be the only way to go for him since haveing a seizure in freefall very likely would be fatal. He also is not allowed to have a drivers licence due to the inability to remain seizure free for more then a few months.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have had a seizure disorder since I was 14 (I'm now 22). I only had simple partial seizures though, and I have even had one in freefall. The seizure was over by pull-time, so I didn't have any problems on that jump.

BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND JUMPING WITH SEIZURES. I started having complex partial seizures about a year ago. I know that if I were to have one while jumping, it'd be a Cypress-fire and hard landing.

I haven't jumped in over a year now because of seizures. In February, part of my right temporal lobe was removed, and I've only had one seizure since then.

BUT...I'm giving myself six months of being seizure-free before I get back in the air.

I'll ask my neurologist what he recommends, because he is certainly an expert in both areas...seizures AND jumping.

Just a little background. I guess I should have laid it all out in my first post. I grew up around jumping all my life. My father was in on developing Special Forces HALO freefall techniques from the get go. Its always been a dream of mine to freefall. I was 13 years old and had 2 Grand Mal seizures. During the time period between 13 and 27 my EEG (brainwave) exams got progressively better to the point where no burst (seizure) activity was occuring at all. After consulting with my doc I jumped for 16 years no issues at all, no meds, no indications of seizure activity, nothing. And then Sept. 13, 2001 I had another Gran Mal seizure while riding to work with a friend. I was immediatly grounded from not only jumping but also from driving. They put me back on meds and I am driving again but not jumping. All 3 seizures I have had were accompanied by a major ear infection of my left ear. I was hoping this was the case with the last one and it was a fluke but it is not to be. I gave myself several years to see how it would pan out, but no joy. My jumping again is now out of the question as of yesterdays EEG results. Seizure activity has reared its ugly head once again. I was hoping this last seizure was a one off deal and I could start doing CRW, at least until I got my Gold Wings. There is no way I would jump with active seizures, cypres or not, but I wont judge anyone based on my experiances. The DZ I started jumping at was fully aware of my history and they had enough faith in me and what my doctor had to say to let me start.
(Thanks everyone. You know who you are!)
Ed "Sped" Hauck
D-12662
[email protected]

You have to know what kind of seizures you have as well as what meds you are on to control them. Asking for specifics on seizures is like asking for specifics on cancer. There are so many different kinds and the answers are different for each.

For example, mine are partial complex. No loss of consciousness, just a little spacey. I can carry on a conversation, you'd never know I was having it to talk to me. It's just a weird dejavuy type sensation. I'm exhausted afterwards, and typically forget having them. So to keep track, I always call/tell/email my husband during or immediately after a seizure, that way I know it gets recorded.

Mine are controlled completely with Lamictal. I only have seizures two days after I miss a dose, which luckily isn't often. I'm playing with levels now so that it doesn't even happen then.

Other meds I was on not so good. Dilantin gave me nystagmus which sucked. Carbatrol made me bruise extremely easily (can lead to internal bleeding) and made me get fungal sores in my mouth. Very painful. Depakote was next but due to hepatotoxicity and teratogenic affects, I refused to take it.

But that is just my experience. Ask 50 people with varying seizure disorders and every answer, cause, treatment, and description of seizures will be different.

Jen

Yes, I skydive. Just finished AFF, got measured for jumpsuit, and put an offer on a used rig today.

The only time I have seizures is when I miss a dose of my meds (playing with med levels now to make that less of an issue). It is always 2 days later. I can usually tell a good couple minutes before a seizure is going to happen that it's coming (aura).

If I had a seizure that day, I would not go anywhere near a plane. If I missed a dose of meds in the 2-3 days before I plan to jump, I won't jump. If I have the aura at any point prior to jumping, I won't jump.

Even though I don't lose consciousness or anything and can still function normally, and even if I had a seizure in freefall, I would not have a problem staying altitude aware or dealing with a malfunction, I'd rather not jump that way. Just like I won't jump if tired or hungover or anything else that would affect my reaction time.

Jen

Yes, I skydive. Just finished AFF, got measured for jumpsuit, and put an offer on a used rig today.

Congratulations on graduating from AFF, Jen.. Can you keep us posted on things like if you decide not to jump because of things like added stress as you get invited on bigger jumps or the wind picks up.. anything that makes it a little uncomfortable.. Curious as to the level of stress that creates and whether it triggers a seizure reaction in you. In PMs to myself or RPT would be fine..

Thanks..
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I'm not shy, don't have a problem discussing here, might help another person or two.

My seizures weren't triggered by stress. A lot of people's are, mine weren't. Honestly I have no idea what caused them. I kept track of times of day and what I was doing when having a seizure, and there were no real correlations. More often in afternoons than any other time of day, but happened at other times too, including in my sleep. They'd wake me up. Nothing seemed to trigger them. I'd have them in exam room, while working out, driving to work, watching TV, working on the house, anything.

That can always change, of course, but it's something that I do keep track of and if anything changes I'll re-evaluate my thinking and how I do things.

Jen